What's new

Suggestions on purchasing digital photo frame? (1 Viewer)

John Wilson

Supporting Actor
Hi . I'm looking to purchase a digital photo frame for my wife for Christmas. I don't know much about but I imagine that some are better than others at just displaying a simple slide show. I'd like to be able to have it read multiple card types or have connectivity to a PC for downloading images.

Can anyone suggest brands/models from personal experience? Is this a dumb gift or are these worth the prices they are selling for?

Thanks for your help. :eek:
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I bought my wife a Polaroid IDF-0720 for Christmas last year. I looked on Amazon and they are asking $120 for it. These are the specs:
  • Digital Photo Frame
  • External Only Memory Storage Capacity
  • Supports JPEG
  • Resolution: 480 x 234
  • Compatible with MultiMediaCard (M), Smart Media Card, Memory Stick, Secure Digital Memory Card (SD Cards), Compact Flash Type I/II
  • Features Playback Function; Digital Mode
  • Brightness: 350 cd/m2, 16:9 Widescreen Viewing
  • Also Features Easy Set-Up, Lightweight Design, Easy to Use Design
  • 1.77 x 7.2 x 9.9 "
  • 300:1 Contrast Ratio
It also has a remote. I don't know why you would use it. It is not like you would sit across the room and watch it. :laugh:

She is busy and not that computer handy. I don't think she has used it yet. The hang up is transferring the photos to the memory stick. This year I got her a photo printer so I will spend some time with her to teach her how to edit and resize the pictures.

As you can see by the 480x234 resolution, pictures need resizing. I just set it up while typing this and the picture quality is OK, but definitely not the HD we are used to seeing on our computer or theaters.

I think it would be great for people who enjoy photo albums and looking at pictures.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think this is a great gift idea! My wife and I have been looking for one. My main concern is that they're still pricey. The more affordable ones have the "Resolution: 480 x 234" spec, which I think is too low.

Also keep in mind that you're not just buying an LCD display, but also the frame style. So look around to find both the hardware specs and price you want, but also the frame style to fit your decor.

If we were buying now, we'd get the Digital Decor 8" Digital Photo Frame from Target. Looks good in the store, has a reasonably high-resolution display, and has an attractive brown frame that suits our style.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Downrezzing a digital photo to 480x234 is going to give you approximately 1/10 of 1 megapixel. 800x600 will get you about half a megapixel.

The key to looking good enough, in addition to contrast ratio, is the dpi. Since the digital photos you will be using will have a dpi exceeding that of the LCD screen, the higher the dpi you can get, the better the image will look...less jaggies. The larger the screen, the higher the resolution you will need.

For example 8" 4x3 800x600 pixel screen will have 125 dpi, which should be "good enough" for this kind of thing. Of course, the other key is how exactly the images are downrezzed by the viewer's software.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just stumbled into a good price on the Westinghouse DPF-0802 (8" model) at Best Buy this past Saturday because I got to use some 10% off coupons on 2 of these digital photo frames, plus it was also on sale (normally $150, marked down to $120, and the coupon got it down to $108). Unfortunately, like I said, I lucked into it as the price went back up on Sunday. I liked that the DPF had a 800x600 resolution, and would take a larger photo and resize it on-the-fly if needed (but I recommend resizing the photos and then popping them on a memory card to max out the capacity of photos stored on the card).

I got 3 of them for relatives because I have no idea what they need, but these DPF seem to be a good way to appeal to family-ness by the ease of displaying family photo slideshows on a regular basis. I will encourage them to pay the $20 for a 2-year replacement warranty plan since I'm not all that sure of the longevity of these DPFs in the long haul (I'm giving them the gift receipt - but wasn't about to spend even more than what I had on these DPFs if I could help it).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI, the 8" DPF I referenced above is back on sale this Sunday (and through next week) at the same store.

John Wilson

Supporting Actor

chinadigital

Auditioning
Real Name
angela
Hi everyone! when you

shop for a digital frame,

there are more options

than ever. Size, design,

functions, picture

quality--these are all

important features that

should be considered

before buying a digital

photo frame. So, we may

think about others,such

as
Aspect Ratio
Design
Features and Functions
Image Transfer and

Storage
Power Source
Screen Resolution
Screen Size and Type
But the most important is

the display , The Screen

of DPF . TFT LCD screen

display digital and

analog screen.
LCD screen is the same

basic technology, now is

the TFT. Say you of both

analog and digital are in

fact referring to LCD

driver circuit boards,

liquid crystal display

will be well used digital

+ Analog driver circuit

(that is at the same time

there is DVI and D-SUB

two interface). and some

low-cost liquid crystal

displays because of the

need to control costs so

use only the Analog drive

circuit (only D-SUB an

interface).
Used to transmit analog

signals, the signal will

be affected by the

surrounding interference,

the effect of

transmission would be

affected.
Using digital signal to

transmit, it will enable

the transmission of the

signal more stable, the

results would be better

Anyway, When Shop for

Digital Photo Frame,

please make sure what

screen it is . Share

with us,hope it will be

useful for your in
future!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks