Suggestions on possible computer build

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Quincy, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Quincy

Quincy Stunt Coordinator

I need some feedback on some components i've picked out. Any suggestions or changes? I'm trying to stay at about $1000.00 budget

Case - Aspire X Dreamer II 54.99
    Motherboard - Asus A8N-E 104.99
    Processor - Athalon 64x2 3800+ 313.00
    Memory - Corsair XMS 2GB 231.00
    Harddrive - Segate Barracuda 7200 250GB 110.00
    DVD Burner - Pioneer DVR-110DBK 39.50
    Video - Gigabyte Geforce 6800GS 189.00

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    you going to be gaming? if not, the video card is way overkill. MAKE SURE to get a quality power supply. even if it means skimping on other components to stay under budget. pc power & cooling power supplies are worth every penny. everything else looks pretty good.

CJ

3. Quincy

Quincy Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I'm into gaming. I usually only buy a computer every 3.5-4 years so I'm looking for something that will stay relevant for a little while.

4. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Quincy,

You might want to splurge a little more and get a GeForce 7800 PCI-E card instead. The reason is simple: the GeForce 7800 handles the more complex drawing functions in DirectX 9.0c much better than the GeForce 6800 series.

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    then everything else looks pretty good. the only thing you are missing is a quality power supply. dont be fooled by numbers, any 400W power supply is not always better than a quality 300W. there are many good (and horrible) power supplies out there, so read up. as i said in my first post, a pc p&c power supply will be better than most anything you'll find. if you only buy a new computer every 3 or 4 years, get it right the first time. a bad psu can introduce all sorts of problems. if it goes too much over your budget, consider cutting back on the ram to 1 GB. best of luck.

CJ

6. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

I'd switch the case to an Antec Sonata II case and you'll get a good quality power supply with it.

The case costs about $100 and the power supply is 420 watts.

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You might also consider a silent or quiet CPU heatsink. The stock heatsinks are fine for most people, but they tend to run a little loud. Many are very difficult to install if you want until after you've finished building your PC -- they're much easier to install with the motherboard out of the case. I wish I had gone with a third-party heatsink on my last build because my Sonata case would probably be completely silent if I had.