1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on Portable MP3 players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Buchsbaum, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Adam Buchsbaum

I was hoping someone could recommend a good portable MP3 player.
    I will mainly be using it when I go to the gym. I had purchased the Rio800 with 128mb based on CNET's recommendations. It was lightweight, small, unobtrusive and VERY problematic (too frustrated to go into the problems right now). I am going to replace it and would like some suggestions.
    Thanks.

2. Bob Muhlhan

Bob Muhlhan Auditioning

Just a suggestion... How about one of the new mp3-capable cd players (discman style)? Typical cdrs hold 700mb, you can get 150-180 tracks on them and rewrite if you choose to. The players usually have anti-skip software. Best of all, you an get these guys for around $100 including car kit if you want to use it.
    Just got my 17 year old daughter a philips player with these features and it plays great.
    Just a thought.

3. Adam Buchsbaum

Thanks Bob. I understand you can get a lot more for your dollar with the discman size players, but I am looking for something that was equivalent to the size of the Rio800 player.

4. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Just did this last week for a friend asking for advice on a gift. The 2/01 issue Consumer Report rated several and came up with descending order:
    *** Standard Players ***
    Sensory Science rave:mp 2200 $240
    Creative Nomad II (64MB) $270
    Samsung yepp YP-E64 $200
    Rio 500 $235
    New Compaq iPaq Personal Audio Player PA-1 $250
    New Sensory Science rave:mp 2300 $300
    Sony MC-P10 Vaio Music Clip $300
    Sony NW-MS7 Memory Stick Walkman 390
    New Iomega Hip Zip $300
    New Rio 600 $170
    *** High-capacity Jukebox Player ***
    New Creative Nomad Jukebox Player $460
    Btw, my friend went with the Nomad Jukebox.
    PF

5. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The archos Jukebox 6000 is a six gig hard drive/mp3 player...not the most lightweight(in fact it is downright heavy) or well laid out control wise(that would be the Rio), but for 249.00 at Best Buy and then rebates, it is the best for the price. My girlfriend had a Rio 128 until the thing DIED after 29 days, we went to exchange it at B-Buy and they didnt have any more, so we got the Archos, the service plan, a DVD, and two CDs for the same price of the Rio. 6GB over 128MB is a BIG difference in my opinion. The Archos also has a line out to hook into receivers and car stereos.
    I just recently got a Sony Mp3 player for my car last month and love it. Just dont put labels on the MP3 discs, as the player doesnt like it. Overall we are VERY happy with both purchases.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. Ted Robinson

Ted Robinson Extra

Hi, I have 2 of the nomad jukeboxes and I am really impressed by them. I love how you can connect to the internet pop in the disk and it names the CD and all the Tracks for you. This makes it easy to organize things for future use.
    ------------------
    Ted Robinson

7. Nick_Gray

Nick_Gray Agent

I love my Nomad II MG with that great Magnesium Case, 64MB shipped for about $230, but comp-u-plus has it for $185 shipped right now. It uses SmartMedia, which runs ~$80 shipped for 128 MB.
    It also allows playback of Microsoft WMA format files, which definitely sound better than MP3 at a given data rate, if you were to choose that route (I do, personally, as I don't download music).
    At $230, I highly recommend it, at $185, it's a freakin' steal! (Assuming, of course, that you want a solid state player - no moving parts. Hard Disk players are quite sensitive to jarring, CDs less so, but I've had bad experiences in the past).
    Drawbacks - It doesn't come with an arm strap or a belt clip, so it either goes in your pocket, you buy/fabricate a clip/strap of some sort, or don't buy it. I use it while inline skating, mostly smooth motions, so I don't worry about it falling out of any pockets. Oh yeah, the headphones included don't sound too great, either.
    Did I mention it also has an FM tuner? It's also slightly smaller than a baseball card, and about 1/2 inch thick - quite small, easy on a shirt pocket.