What's new

Suggestions on cabinet finishing (1 Viewer)

Dan_M

Agent
I finished my sub and covered it with the PE black vinyl. It looks fine, but I'm not sure how happy I am with it after seeing the wood finishes SVS puts on their subs. Adding real wood veneer seems pretty straight forward, except when you get to rounded edges that go two directions. Right now the sides of my sub are rounded over while the top and bottom edges are square. The only way I can think of accomplishing this is to add solid wood corners, which means I'd also need to build up the thickness of the walls on 2 faces so it matches up. I suppose I could also router out a 1/4" notch in the MDF which would be replaced by solid wood edges.

Any thoughts on this?

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
Your on the right path with putting on rounded pieces, but remember that you can also get veneer wet and you could bend the veneer around some pretty good curves. What ever is easiest for you...

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator

That is why most speaker cabinets have the edges rounded in only one direction (like the Adire Audio subs). I also think the solid wood corner blocks is the only way to go as you won't be able to bend the veneer in two directions.

You can use solid wood blocks in one direction and curve the veneer in the other. This would require you to build up only two sides of the sub rather than 6 sides. If you go this route, small 1/4" round over (to match the small blocks) would be to tight a radius to bend the veneer around, so a larger 3/4" radius would be more realistic.

You got pics of what you'd like the look to resemble?
rob

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator

That is why most speaker cabinets have the edges rounded in only one direction (like the Adire Audio subs). I also think the solid wood corner blocks is the only way to go as you won't be able to bend the veneer in two directions.

You can use solid wood blocks in one direction and curve the veneer in the other. This would require you to build up only two sides of the sub rather than 6 sides. If you go this route, small 1/4" round over (to match the small blocks) would be to tight a radius to bend the veneer around, so a larger 3/4" radius would be more realistic.

You got pics of what you'd like the look to resemble?
rob

Dan_M

Agent
This SVS here is what I'm going for. It looks like they have the top and bottom edges blocked with solid wood, and the rest wrapped with veneer. Right now my vertical edges are rounded over 1/4" which was plenty for the vinyl, you think I'd have to go to the larger 3/4" raduis to avoid problems? If I went that big I don't think I'd be able to remove enough MDF for the solid wood edge without compromising the box. Adding a solid wood panel to the top and bottom would get around this, but add possible warping issues later on. The more I think about this the more simply leaving the top and bottom edges square sounds good.

Dan_M

Agent
This SVS here is what I'm going for. It looks like they have the top and bottom edges blocked with solid wood, and the rest wrapped with veneer. Right now my vertical edges are rounded over 1/4" which was plenty for the vinyl, you think I'd have to go to the larger 3/4" raduis to avoid problems? If I went that big I don't think I'd be able to remove enough MDF for the solid wood edge without compromising the box. Adding a solid wood panel to the top and bottom would get around this, but add possible warping issues later on. The more I think about this the more simply leaving the top and bottom edges square sounds good.

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you'll have a problem if you glue (and screw) an addition (smaller) layer of MDF to your cabinet to allow solid wood corners. For simplicity, I would perhaps consider just adding an extra layer to the top, and routing out the existing sides. If you curve along the grain (like the sides of the SVS link) you may be able to get a nice ½" radius. Buy a little extra veneer to experiment on scrap before starting you actual sub.

The veneered cabinets do look nice... ;)
Rob

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you'll have a problem if you glue (and screw) an addition (smaller) layer of MDF to your cabinet to allow solid wood corners. For simplicity, I would perhaps consider just adding an extra layer to the top, and routing out the existing sides. If you curve along the grain (like the sides of the SVS link) you may be able to get a nice ½" radius. Buy a little extra veneer to experiment on scrap before starting you actual sub.

The veneered cabinets do look nice... ;)
Rob

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You could also use spackle or wood filler to build your rounded edges back up to square, then veneer it w/ perfectly square edges. I think the look of nice sharp edges w/ a good veneer job is hard to beat. Also makes the veneer process a lil easier, just cut it a lil big, glue it on, and then cut the edges flush w/ a router or spiral saw with a flush cut bit.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You could also use spackle or wood filler to build your rounded edges back up to square, then veneer it w/ perfectly square edges. I think the look of nice sharp edges w/ a good veneer job is hard to beat. Also makes the veneer process a lil easier, just cut it a lil big, glue it on, and then cut the edges flush w/ a router or spiral saw with a flush cut bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks