suggestions on buying an equalizer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Dobbs, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    Could someone please tell me what to look for when buying an equalizer? I'm not looking to spend any more than $150. thanks

2. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

What is the equalizer to be used for? That makes a big difference in what the best choice would be.
    Deane

3. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

Yea, it depends on what it's used for. Awhile back Mars Music had a special ($99) on Aphex Aural Exciters, so I bought one for the heck of it. Hooked it up to my garage stereo and couldn't believe how nice it was. Can't explain it but it seems to bring the instruments forward, and with the BigBottom, it tightens up the bass, without addding gain. I bought 3 more for my livin room system. Now I'm thinking I don't need a subwoofer. Took out the EQ's alltogether.
    See if you can borrow one for a 2ch. test.

4. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    I'm looking for an equalizer for a stereo system, and I'm looking to boost the bass frequencies a lot. So are there any equalizers out there that offer a frequency range that goes down to 20 hz?

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Brian,
    If your looking for SUB control only~~~~
    Do a search on-{ BFD ~ Behringer Feedback Destroyer}- in the DYI area!
    Info on this unit abounds. Many use this for complete bottom end control! I use it,,, and recommend it highly... Yes it's very affordable! Around 150.00 and a steal for what it can do!
    Geoff

6. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    Isn't the BFD used for live music? What kind of connectors does it have in the back? How could this work in a living room?

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Brian
    Yes the BFD unit is used by recording studios, bands, etc, but also used buy MANY here in thier home systems. As stated before, there are a large number of threads dealing with the BFD and it's use, hook up, settings, operation, where to buy, etc.
    Try doing a search !!!! [​IMG]
    HARDWARE & DIY
    Hook up is with 2-Mono headphone style input jacks.
    ~~ (for the R&L inputs on the BFD)~~ pickup mono standard type headphone to rca adapters at your local Radio Shack.
    At the BFD's price point, it's a fantastic sub control unit.
    Edit-
    Aparently to high sever load right now as tried to search for you. So you might try some other time. You really should check this one out.
    [Edited last by Geoff L on August 29, 2001 at 08:22 PM]

8. Steven Lin

Steven Lin Extra

It also has 2 XLR inputs and outputs in addition to the 1/4" TRS input and output jacks. The inputs are useable in either balanced or unbalanced configuration.

9. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
  10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brian,
    The EQs on the link are 10-band models that have fixed bands with 1-octave spacing. For bass, the fixed frequencies are at are close to 32Hz, 63Hz, 125Hz. As you can see, these equalizers do not offer much control.
    The problem with bass anomalies in a room is that they are seldom such that they can be address by a 1-octave equalizer. For instance, they could not tame a bass spike at 47Hz that is 1/6 octave wide.
    The Behringer Feedback Destroyer is a so-called parametric equalizer. It is able to pinpoint any frequency for adjustment. And Parametric EQs have adjustable bandwidth, so the center frequency you select to boost or cut can be as wide as 3-octaves or as narrow as 1/10 of an octave, or any band width in between. (Disclaimer: This is just an example of what a parametric can do. The BFD may have selectable bandwidths wider than 3-octaves or narrower than 1/10-octave.)
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List