suggestions on amp to pair with Paradigm Studios

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Wes Warren, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Wes Warren

Wes Warren Extra

Hi all. I am feeling a case of upgraditus coming on. Currently I have a Studio 20/Studio CC/PDR-10/Atom setup, being pushed by a Pioneer Elite vsx-36tx receiver. When I got into this i had atoms all around with a cc170 center and the PDR-10. After upgrading the front line ive been wondering if im really giving them the love they need [​IMG].
    What do you all think? The pioneer is rated for 100wpc but the 20s handle 150 and the CC handles 180. I like the sound i'm getting now, just wonder what, if anything, i'm missing. So I've been thinking of getting either a 2 or 3 channel amp on the used market. What brands usually sound good matched with the paradigms?

2. Wes Warren

Wes Warren Extra

Hi all. I am feeling a case of upgraditus coming on. Currently I have a Studio 20/Studio CC/PDR-10/Atom setup, being pushed by a Pioneer Elite vsx-36tx receiver. When I got into this i had atoms all around with a cc170 center and the PDR-10. After upgrading the front line ive been wondering if im really giving them the love they need [​IMG].
    What do you all think? The pioneer is rated for 100wpc but the 20s handle 150 and the CC handles 180. I like the sound i'm getting now, just wonder what, if anything, i'm missing. So I've been thinking of getting either a 2 or 3 channel amp on the used market. What brands usually sound good matched with the paradigms?

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Paradigms sound best with a warm amp like B&K, Parasound, Classe, IMHO...YMMV.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Paradigms sound best with a warm amp like B&K, Parasound, Classe, IMHO...YMMV.

5. Andrew*Be

Andrew*Be Auditioning

I've got the Anthem MCA-50 powering my studios. Sounds great.

6. Andrew*Be

Andrew*Be Auditioning

I've got the Anthem MCA-50 powering my studios. Sounds great.

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Anthem. Same company. Guaranteed goodness. Otherwise, Rotel, Parasound, etc etc. Any well built amp with a solid power supply will do nicely.

8. Wes Warren

Wes Warren Extra

Thanks guys! The search begins [​IMG]

9. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I'm using an Acurus A200x3 for my 100's & CC. Tis a good match. Incidentally, there is an A100x3 available on the for sale forum right now. I think that would be a good match as 100 wpc is plenty for the 20's. Definitely much better quality amplification than what's in the Pioneer. No affiliation with the seller, yada, yada, yada...

-Dave

10. james e m

james e m Second Unit

11. Wes Warren

Wes Warren Extra

Interesting Thread. Thanks.

12. Ben Stern

Ben Stern Stunt Coordinator

Before you upgrade your receiver, I would suggest that you upgrade your sub and your surrounds. They are the weakest link in your chain right now. Unless your home theater is INCREDIBLY HUGE AND YOU PLAY AT REFERENCE LEVELS ALL THE TIME, the amp won't make as big a difference as you might think. I speak from personal experience and 30 years involvement in this hobby.

13. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

What Ben said...

How big is the room you're listening in? Chances are the Pioneer isn't holding back the 20s all that much. There are probably many other factors w/ greater impact on the sound (like, how old are you, what all is in that room, speaker placement, all that shtuff).

If you really wanna do this, then yes, you could go looking for an older/chaper used amp just to see how much or little difference it might make. You could find an even cheaper 2-channel amp - there are plenty of options there to (over)drive the 20s and they'd all take enough strain off the Pioneer to have plenty for the remmaining channels. (TIA - I just happen to use either a Hafler 500 or an Odyssey to drive the mains in "the big room" and they're both overkill & uncessary but I use 'em 'cause I have 'em). You should be able to find something like that on A-Gon or EBay, but the biggest difference in changing the overall sound from your system is not likely to come from an outboard amp.

14. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

I am partial to the Rotel and B&K amps, but a number of different brands are available, esp on Audiogon. [​IMG]

15. Wes Warren

Wes Warren Extra

The room is not that large, maybe 12w by 20l with normal height ceiling and two openings on one side. Due to room layout, the listening area is only 7 to 10 feet(l) from the fronts with the rears being about 5 to 8 feet behind. I dont really listen at reference levels either. I guess I will go with upgrading the sub next as the rears cannot really get any larger(they are mounted on a soffit and I have less than an inch height clearance, could probably go larger if I turned them on their sides but would need a custom bracket then).
    Thanks for the advise guys.

16. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Looks like you've already decided, so I'm just going to echo the suggestion you already have about upgrading the sub. Since your mains are bookshelf speakers you definitely want a good sub to pair up with them. It can make all the difference, definitely more so than a separate amp in your small listening area. A good sub in such an area doesn't need to be super loud, rather it needs to be accurate and fast since it is your main source of bass all around.

17. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

Agree, spend some $ on the sub first. You want something that plays extends lower, cleaner, tighter.

The amp will clean up the sound a bit to your studio's, but you have to fix the bottleneck at the front too. Since a sub can make a more dramatic difference, do that first.