Suggestions on a sound system.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andy*C, May 27, 2006.

1. Andy*C

Andy*C Auditioning

I own a Sharp LC-37D40U and i would like to set up a good sound system but i don't really know much about them. i've got a budget to about $2,000 and im looking for a system that can give me a home theatre sound and play music very well. i was looking at some HTIBs but i heard to many down sides to them and im a little affraid of buying one.

any suggestion or ideas??

2. Andy*C

Andy*C Auditioning

o yea i think i should mention that i will be sitting about 10 feet from the tv.

PLZ HELP!

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Here are some general suggestions. I would look to spend 50-60% of your total budget on the 5 main speakers (left, center, right, L&R surrounds). what speakers you choose is completely up to your taste, but they should be a matched set for the best blending. They should also have high sensitivity (over 90 dB, look at the specs) and just basically sound they way you like. It's best if you buy from a place which allows an in-home audition, so you can see if you like them in your actual surroundings and return them within a few days if you are not happy. I would only allot $300 to maybe $400 for the receiver, since you can get an incredible amount for your money in that area these days. Pioneer gives remarkable value for the money, but check into Denon as well for better quality at a higher price, but don't sacrifice on the speakers to spend more on the receiver. They are ultimately more important in your price range. Finally, is a subwoofer. Don't pass on this, don't go cheap, and realize most "subwoofers" are really just woofers in a separate box. A decent sub will absolutely make the system, particularly with movies. I think the SVS 20-39 PCi is probably the best choice for your budget and will keep you happy for years to come.

You'll get lots of responses, mostly from people recommending the equipment or brands they own. I lost the need to encourage others to buy the same stuff I have some time ago.

4. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

As John above said, people are going to recommend what they own, I will do the same but not quite.

And yes, spend a good portion of the budget on your sub. I bought from SVS and got the PB12-NSD/2. But I have a huge space that the system is in. About 2,000 square feet wth 9' ceilings. If someone else wants to figure out the cubic feet, go ahead. I'm not going to bother. You will likely not need a sub that big, so as suggested above the 20-39 PCi, or if the funds are available, step up to the 25-31 PC+.

I had a larger budget and a big WAF to contend with, so I was forced to go with in-wall speakers, but won the battle on the big sub.

I got the Marantz SR 5600 receiver from AC4L reconditioned for $410. I like it a lot and it is treating me will. So with that or similarly priced receiver, your looking at having a little less than $1,000 left for your speakers and you can put together a nice set of speakers for that.

I have seen others on here suggest, and I considered myself the SVS speaker system SBS-01. $600 without a sub for the 5.1. For a $1,000 you get it with a PB-10 sub. Leaving plenty left over for a receiver, cd, dvd, etc...

With $2,000 you have a lot of options available to you and can put together a killer system.

My budget was slightly higher and here is what I got.

Marantz SR 5600 receiver
    Marantz CC4300 CD player (5 disc)
    NHT IW3 in-walls (fronts, center, and surrounds)
    SVS PB12-NSD/2

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

We discuss complete systems in the A/V Sources area. Basics is for general discussion of home theater at the beginner level. For product recommendations, please post in the appropriate hardware-related area. Thank you.

6. Andy*C

Andy*C Auditioning

Thanks alot for the suggestions.

sorry about posting in the wrong area. Im new to this forum =/