Suggestions on a receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Allen, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Ok guys, Santa is being very good to me this Christmas and I'm looking to upgrade in the receiver category. I've currently got the Sony DA50ES. I'm looking to spend up to $1500.

My requirements are:

7 digits inputs at least 4 must be toslink

2 component video inputs, 3 would be nice

conversion between s-video and component video

5 s-video inputs

conversion of a digital input to an analog output for recording would be nice but not required.

The Kenwood Sovereign VR-4700 would seem to fill the bill but I'd like to know of any other alternatives. I'm taking my time researching this purchase carefully.

I'm also not real crazy about the Kenwoods styling, but it could grow on me. Performance is the key.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Onkyo 898 or Denon 3802. The Kenwoods don't provide amps for 6.1 DDEX and DTSES. instead they have a powered zone 2 and if you want 6.1 you have to buy an amp. IMHO the Denons and Onkyos sound better too.

3. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    I'm definately looking at the Onkyo. I assume it converts between S-Video and Component? I might be mistaken, but the Denon doesn't have enough digital inputs and doesn't do the video conversion that I want. If I'm mistaken, please do let me know.

Thanks.

4. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo does not convert between s-video and component. It does convert between s-video and composite.

Jay