What's new

Suggestions on a buying a DVD recorder? (1 Viewer)

I would like to transfer a lot of laserdisc material (Star Wars Trilogy Definitive Collection, Golden Age of Looney Toons Box Sets, etc), shows from my REPLAY TV unit and obviously, home movies (VHS) to DVD.

I know there are people who have transfered their laserdiscs to DVD's, but, how do they handle the side changes or edit out commercials from television shows?

I know they are still relatively new on the market (and $$$), but can anyone recommend a good unit that will be able to perform the tasks I mentioned above?

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Panasonic E20 as well as a DVD burner on the computer. I burn digital home video to DVD. When it comes to the lasers, the only question I have for you is do you want to maintain the DD soundtrack? If so, you need some prosumer grade DVD authoring software. For simple transfers to DVD, the Panasonic recorder is great. For layer changes on the LD, just pause the recorder--same for commercials. You will lose chapter stops.

Is there much of a difference between the Panasonic E20 and Panasonic E30? In comparing specs, it seems the E30 lets you record in PCM as well as DD 2.0. Anything else?

Chuck Paskovics

Stunt Coordinator
I'm waiting for the Panasonic DMR-HS2, which comes out later this year. This has the built in hard drive. With this I imagine you can build your movies on there first (like the multitude of sides with the Star Wars CAV) and then record them to the dvd. I am wanting to do all the same things you are (LD, home movies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks