1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on a <$1000 2 channel amp for dunlavy sc2av's?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I just would like some suggestions on a good 2 channel power amp to use with a yamaha rxv-1400 and a pair of dunlavy SC2 AV's. The reciever I have now is 110X7. I would like at least 200wpc. I have no problems buying used on audiogon either. I have been thinking about sunfire, but I am open to anything. As the title says

2. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

A Rotel 1080 or Anthem MCA 20 would nice choices in your budget. If you upped your budget to $1500 you could maybe get a used Classe CA-200, McIntosh MC202, Proceed HPA2, Aragon 8008BB, Bryston 4B SST or Parasound A21. Good luck with whatever you choose.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Buy a pair of AudioSource Amp3s and bridge them one for each channel. 400 wpc with a warm sound should be an excellent match for the Yam front end.

4. Jesse Sharrow

One other question. Do you guys think I could drive these speakers with tubes?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Because I could always use these as stereo only speakers. Acctually that is very tempting. I may do that.

5. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I did some checking and though the SC-2's are 5ohm they are pretty stable and should work with tubes though I would use the 4ohm tap on the amp if possible. If you are going to do a separate 2-channel system you might look for a integrated amp and up your budget to around $1500. A used Conrad Johnson CAV-50, Rogue Tempest, Cary SLI-80 or Manley Stingray would be nice. If you want a new amp a ASL AQ 1001DT, Prima Luna ProLogue One or Cayin TA-30 would be nice also.

6. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

and so the addiction begins.

kevin t

7. Jesse Sharrow

Yeah tell me about it. Where did you find the specs on the SCII's? I would love to look at there efficency and power handling.

8. AlbertD

AlbertD Stunt Coordinator

9. Jesse Sharrow

Thank you very much. I appreciate that. [​IMG]