What's new

Suggestions needed for a new room (1 Viewer)

My new house is almost nearing completion. The dry walling will be next week and in the last minute, the builder gave the option to add my own speaker wiring. I will have a 2 day window next week - so please respond ASAP.

Here is the house plan
http://www.steemer-online.com/loka/house_plan.jpg
Here is my own paint brush drawn idea of the room
http://www.steemer-online.com/loka/speakers_idea1.jpg

ORIENTATION
I thought of placing the TV(I plan to buy a 65" Toshiba) on the right side(SIDE A) but that would mean too much gap between read speakers unless I hang them to the ceiling which I dont like. Plus the room area will not be efficiently used(I plan to but a pool table when finances permit). So I came up with the plan as in the picture above.

WIRING
I am planning on setting up a 6.1 system as in the plan and leave a extra wire for 7.1. I will also leave 4 ft of extra wire for the rear speakers, just in case I decide to move them into the room for a 7.1 setup.
Regarding the wire, I have seen some monster cables that have four wires in it. Can one cable be used for 2 speakers ? I don't think I will ever bi-amp.

INSULATION
This is a split level house. So half of the walls are concrete blocks with drywall over them. The rest half are like regular walls. I have read a lot about sound proofing in this forum. But the only option I have is to place something between the dry walls that are common to the living room and the garage. Is there any recommended material to place between the dry walls or does it have no effect ? Because from what I read, isolation has to be made between the dry wall and the stud which is not an option for me.

PROJECTOR or NOT
I have seen some users here have front projectors that cost around $1200. How good are these compared to a rear projection TV ? How frequently have the bulbs to be changed ? The reason I am asking here is, if I want to keep that as an option, I might run some cables for it. I can drape the windows and make the room as dark as needed.

Please throw in any suggestions you can think of regarding the room.
This will be my first dedicated theater room. I have a Sony receiver /AR speakers 5.1 setup now but will buy a Denon 2803 or the 3803 receiver.

Thanks

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Why is your budget for a projector only $1200 if you are planning on spending three times that for a 65 inch Toshiba?

I have to add mounting kit and screen costs to it. Plus, from what some salesmen told me, the bulbs could burn out in a year or two(depending on projector) and that would mean, added cost of $300 to $400 every year or other year. So if I get a projector that is cheap compared to a rear projection, that would easily compensate for the replacement bulbs. I am not set on a $1200 budget, I can push it up, but I need to know what my recurring costs will be.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I didn't mean to come off as rude...I have the Infocus X1 and I love it. I think it is a great entry level projector and the replacement bulbs are $250-$300. Plus they last for 3000 hours according to specs. As someone who has both a RPTV and a projector, for the money, the projector is DEFINITELY the way to go. Less bulk, equal if not better picture quality and much lower price for the size picture you get.

I never felt it was rude in anyway. After reading your post, I also found the thread for the X1 deal but its too late now. I am leaning towards a front projector after reading some reviews and seeing some home theaters. Looks like I can go with a DIY screen and setup a decent video system for under $2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks