What's new

Suggestions from RALPH VAUGHN WILLIAMS fans...? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I love much of this composer's music, particularly the softer, lyrical and more melodious works. Can any one recommend more of his music that is along the lines of the NORFOLK RHAPSODY #1, IN THE FEN COUNTRY and FANTASIA ONA THEME BY THOMAS TALLIS? I'd appreciate the input!

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I can't say I'm a really big RVW fan since I only have a few of his works, and don't know the ones you mentioned. However I will say that his 5th Symphony is a very beautiful, pastoral work. Gorgeous melody.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
That Tallis Fantasia is a gorgeous piece, isn't it? One of my absolute favorites. Don't have that much Vaughan Williams in my collection currently, but the disc I have which contains my favorite Tallis Fantasia performance also has a number of other fine works, including the Oboe Concerto, and the Fantasia on "Greensleeves". It's on the Nimbus label, and though I don't have the disc in front of me, I believe it's the English Chamber Orchestra performing.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
To know Ralph Vaughan-Williams's symphonies is essential. His two best-known symphonies are Symphony No. 2 A London Symphony and Symphony No. 7 Sinfonia Antartica (note the intentional misspelling). His best symphony, however, would be Symphony No. 8.

The Lark Ascending, a weepy, melody-emphatic short tone poem for violin and orchestra, brings together many common Vaughan-Williams themes (the pastoral English countryside, a strong focus on thematic variations, etc.).

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Talis is similar in many ways, and the over-played Fantasia on Greensleeves is a crowd-pleaser.

Though the recordings are dated, Sir Adrian Boult's complete symphonic cycle with the New Philharmonia Orchestra (EMI/Angel) is essential to any Vaughan-Williams aficianado. Andre Previn's survey of Vaughan-Williams's symphonies (with the London Symphony Orchestra) and shorter orchestral works on RCA Red Seal are commendable; though over-mic'd and "processed," they sound a bit more modern than the Adrian Boult recordings.

Also, "Vaughan-Williams" is the composer's name (hyphenated). And "Ralph" is properly pronounced "Rafe." FYI.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Jack that the Boult recordings are excellent, but if you want a budget (and arguably better recorded) introduction, try the VW symphonies on the Naxos label.

Not my all-time fave composer, I must admit - for 20th century classical, I prefer American composers (Copeland, Ives, etc). However, a lot of his stuff does go down easily. I agree with Jack about no. 8.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'm a big Ralph Vaughn Williams (I've never seen his last name hyphenated) fan, so I'd have to recommend The Complete Works. :D

Here are the recordings I have:

Fantasia and The Lark Ascending (Marriner/St. Martin in the Fields)

Fantasia, In the Fen Country, The Wasps (Marriner/St. Martin in the Fields)

Film Music of Ralph Vaughn Williams Volume 1 (Gamba/BBC Philharmonic)

Symphony No. 1 (Slatkin/Philharmonia)

Symphony No. 2 and Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1 (Slatkin/Philharmonia)

Symphony No. 2 (Original Version) (Hickox/London Symphony)

Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4 (Haitink/London Philharmonic)

Symphonies Nos. 5 and 6 (Slatkin/Philharmonia)

Symphonies Nos. 7 and 8 (Bakels/Bournemouth)

Symphonies Nos. 8 and 9 (Haitink/London Philharmonic)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks