What's new

Suggestions for where to buy Sony ES gear? (1 Viewer)

SvenS

Second Unit
J & R is VERY good at price matching almost anyone on the Net and they double box all their shipments!

anthony_b

Screenwriter
JandR. (I've used them for almost 15 years). Just purchased the scd-222es sacd player from them for $319 :D

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Kevin, I also bought my 222ES from them, double boxed, out the next day, and alot easier than trying to haggle with local reps .

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Kevin, I also got a lot of stuff over the years from J&R & never had a problem with them. But I've found at J&R & many other mail order companies that if one salesman won't move on a price just hang up & call right back because many times I've got the next salesman to go along with what I was willing to pay. I guess it all depends on how much they are willing to lose in their commissions so don't be afraid to fight with them. The only company that I've found that you can't fight with over price is Crutchfield.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have used Soundcity in the past *because* they negotiate on price, and double box their shipments. I actually didn't know that J & R did too. (I always took their prices in their catalogs and magazine ads as "gospel.") Cool...

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator
I highly recommend Sammans. Ask for Joe. he is the owner. I just bought a 2ES and am very pleased with the whole experience.:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have been very pleased with OneCall.com and have purchased a couple of Sony ES items from them (along with several other items from different manufacturers). I have also had success with J & R, but have not purchased any Sony ES products from them.

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have experience with OneCall, but i do know that J&R is reliable and they quoted me on each of the ES models, all of which were over $100 cheaper than Crutchfield's prices. You have to call and ask them in order to get a quote... to me i got the best bang for the buck with all the features i needed.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I've used them all pretty much. Oade is a good as any of them IMO. Then J&R and Soundcity with onecall last. I DO like J&R's return policy the best so that works big in their favor. Are you looking for something specific that Oade didn't have or did you have a problem with oade?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Charles, I think you had one of these! :)

I was looking for a P9000ES. They are fairly hard to find, and I thought I might be able to dig up a dealer that had one on a back shelf somewhere. Lucikly, posted on the hardware forum here that I was looking for one, and I got hooked up. Thanks all! Now, if only Sony would do a universal ES CD/SACD/DVD-A/DVD-V player... ;)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Onecall has an awful return policy so I would personally avoid them. I would trust J&R and OADE over them any day of the week and then some.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree. Maybe OneCall changed policy, but when I bought my DB-930 a couple years back, it came DOA (no final amp). I called in for an RMA, received another new receiver the next morning at 10:00am with a return lable. All I had to do was slap the label on my box and drop it off. I can't ask for much better than that when they're 2000+ miles away.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ignore DOA. Look at what happens if you don't like the 930. Then what happens..

Look here is onecalls policy:
OneCall accepts returns of factory-sealed, unopened, new merchandise within 30 days of customer's receipt of the product; or returns of defective new product within 15 days of receipt
Meaning if I open said ES receiver and it lacks a feature I find out after playing with it, I can't return it. How's that for a big screw you?

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, that's a valid concern for some people. I do a ton of research and then try everything out at local shops before I buy. I also give the local shops the option to price match to be fair. I've also paid a little more from local shops at times because I want to support them being around the next time (within limits of course). I guess for me the returnability of an item isn't as important unless it dies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.