Suggestions for WB's Charlie Chaplin DVD special editions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Since it's a little under a year away until WB will be releasing the Charlie Chaplin SE's, here's some things that will get more people to buy or re-buy (those who have the Image versions or the laserdiscs) the new special editions:

City Lights: Include original mono and Carl Davis re-recording. The Davis score would be fantastic if it was presented in DTS 5.1 or the original PCM 2.0 surround. Also keep picture matted on the sides to present the correct 1.25:1 Movietone aspect ratio. Without this matting, the picture will appear off-center!

Modern Times: Include original mono and new Timothy Brock re-recording. The new Brock score would be well presented in DTS 5.1 or PCM 2.0, which would take advantage of the digital recording. Also include an option to see the two versions: One with the complete Cuff song routine and one with the shortened version missing the final punchline.

The Gold Rush: Include both the 1925 version restored by Kevin Brownlow and including the new Carl Davis score, and the 1942 re-release version.

The Circus: Have both the silent and sound versions. The silent version should be shown at around 22 fps and also the sound version, complete with Chaplin song intro. Both, along with the making-of featurette can fit onto one disc.

First National films (The Kid, A Dog's Life, The Pilgrim, Shoulder Arms, The Idle Class, Pay Day, and A Day's Pleasure): Include both the original silent versions and Chaplin scored re-release versions.

Limelight: Include the deleted scene which was cut by Chaplin after release. The Image DVD includes this.

A King in New York: Include the original British version, which is 5 minutes longer.

A Woman of Paris: Original silent version and re-release version via seamless branching.

One thing that was sorely missed from the original Image DVD's was trailers. I know trailers might not exist, but if there are any trailers, they need to be added! These DVD's should be the final editions on disc.

I'll purchase ALL of the Chaplin SE's if they include all of this.

2. Rain

Rain Producer

So when did it become official that WB was going to be releasing these on DVD? I was under the impression that this was just speculation.

I can't really see myself rebuying these unless WB managed to somehow improve the quality even more. The Image discs are already pretty amazing.

However, I didn't buy The Gold Rush, as I'm holding out for the original. So if someone wants to release that one, I'd probaby buy it.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Here's the press release:

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I also can't imagine buying any of these except for The Gold Rush (got all the Image discs), but that one is a definite must-have. I actually enjoy the 1942 version (and the print is stunningly clean, especially when compared to what I'm used to IRT The Gold Rush), but I have to have the silent version. I will keep my eye on the others, though. If there are significant differences, I'll consider them.

Are the Mutuals and the Essanays still in print? I've seen the Essanays at Borders, but haven't had any luck with the Mutuals.

5. Rain

Rain Producer

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

They must be transferred so that the motion looks normal and not "sped up" as people are used to seeing these silent films.

The orchestral score with brand new digital recordings in DTS 5.1 would be too cool! Heck, the music wasn't in mono during the live music performances that accompanied the movies, so why should they be on the discs?

Dan