Suggestions for wall mounable surrounds? B&W LM1 a good choice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Well, we went and looked at the model of our new house today again. I spent some serious time in the bonus room trying to figure everything out. I think what's going to have to happen is that I will have to mount my rear surrounds up in the corner of the back of the room near the ceiling.
    What brands of speakers would you sugest that might accomodate me here? I have been considering the Diva's, but I think the 2.1's are too big and heavy for wall mounting. These will be over the stairs coming up to the room, so I'd hate fora big heavy speaker to fall on someone when they are walking up!!!!!
    Also considering Paradigm Studios, and I think the Atoms would be wall mountable. Probably the other speaker on my list is the B&W 603. Would the B&W LM1 be a sufficient rear and center surround? I know these are definitely wall mountable and I could get these in white to hide very well.
    Just wondering what else is out there. I don't ahve any experience with wall-mounting speakers, so I'l like some opinions here.
    Thanks!!!!
    Aaron

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Aaron: What are you using for your front channels? If possible, you will want to at least partially try to match the tonality from front to back since even the new music formats such as SACD and DVD-A both use 5.1 channels or more.
    Ideally, you'd want to use identical speakers in the rear as in the front. Of course, most times, that is not possible. In that case, try to use speakers which use the same tweeter and midrange as your fronts.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

3. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

John,
    Well, this will be a new purchase all the way around. I still have yet to buy my mains and center, so I guess I could really go either way with the brands.
    I was hoping to nail it down to which brands had the best speakers for wall-mounting, and then decide on the whole system from there.
    Aaron

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Aaron: what is you budget? If I just go ahead and name my favorite wall mountable speaker, it is gonna be the Aerial Acoustic's SR-3. Of course, you'd also want to consider the Aerial fronts and center to go along with them... [​IMG]
    Get back to us with your budget and we can go from there...
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Well, For the mains, center and L/R/C, if I could stay in the $1000-$1500 range, that'd be the best. I know Sound Advice here in Florida has private member sales a few times a year and they offer "Buy 1, get the 2nd half off" which equates to a 25% discount, I guess. They carry the B&W line.

I think I could maybe push the Paradigm Studio 40's, CC Center, and some atoms in that price range. And I think definitely the B&W 603's with the center and the LM1 surrounds.

Anyway, thanks for the posts, John. Looking forward to yours and other recomendations.

Aaron