Suggestions for violin music

Discussion in 'Music' started by Bobby T, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

With hi res music broadening my musical horizon I have discovered I love violin music. I bought Ann-Sophie Mutter-Beethoven Spring & Kreutzer Sonatas SACD. I don't know if this is highly regarded or not but I really like it. I would like suggestions on more violin music to listen to.

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

The following artists rarely had a bad day in the studio:

David Oistrakh
    Jascha Heifetz
    Arthur Grumiaux
    Itzhak Perlman
    Yehudi Menuhin
    Andrew Manze

Some of the major works written for violin and suggested recordings:

J.S. Bach: Solo and Double Violin Concertos
    (Andrew Manze/Academy of Ancient Music on Harmonia Mundi)

J.S. Bach: Violin Sonatas
    (Andrew Manze on Harmonia Mundi)

W.A. Mozart: The Violin Concertos
    (Arthur Grumiaux/Sir Colin Davis/London Symphony Orchestra on Philips)

W.A. Mozart: Violin Sonatas
    (Raphael Druian/George Szell on Sony)

Beethoven: Violin Concerto
    (Jascha Heifetz/Charles Munch/Boston Symphony Orchestra on RCA)
    (Viktoria Mullova/John Eliot Gardiner/Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique on Philips)

Beethoven: Violin Sonatas
    (Zino Francescatti and Robert Casadesus on Sony - complete set available in Europe)

Felix Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor
    (Jascha Heifetz/Charles Munch/Boston Symphony Orchestra on RCA)
    (Viktoria Mullova/John Eliot Gardiner/Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique on Philips)

Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto
    (David Oistrakh/Eugene Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra on Sony)

Brahms: Violin Concerto
    (David Oistrakh/George Szell/Cleveland Orchestra on EMI)

Sibelius: Violin Concerto
    (David Oistrakh/Eugene Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra on Sony)

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Leila Josefowicz
    Sarah Chang

Handel: Passacaglia (Violin/Viola or Violin/Cello duet)

4. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I have recently started listening to classical and purchased Vivaldi's La Stravaganza performed by Rachel Podger on Hybrid-SACD awhile back and it is the best sounding disc in my collection, not to mention full of great performances. It is a 2 disc set on the Channel Classics label and it was also very affordable. I think is cost about $24CDN. By contrast Sony's single SACDs sell for $30CDN here.
    Channel Classics also has a great sampler SACD that sells for about $9-10CDN. There are two Stravaganza tracks on it.

Regards
    KrisM

NP - Wilco - YHF

5. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

Joshua Bell has the West Side Story suite on SACD (Sony) -- multichannel.

6. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I hope you guys don't limit yourself to recordings available on SACD and DVD-A.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    The best disc I have heard in a while is the:

Vivaldi: La Stravaganza on Channel Classics by Racheal Podger

Superb!

Also great on redbook, but not nearly as good. [​IMG]

8. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm not limiting myself to just SACD and DVDA; But since I am only starting out buying this kind of music I will put my money into hi res first and then buy CDs.

9. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Well, that's a mistake. Most of the recordings by the 20th century's greatest violinists have yet to make it to hi-rez and probably won't for sometime. Current CD versions of their recordings rarely detract from their brilliance.

10. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I'll send you in a slightly different direction and recommend Andrew Bird. He's got his own band called Bowl of Fire, and he's recorded with Squirrel Nut Zippers several times. His music is similar to the pseudo-swing, '30's jazz flavor that the Zippers used, but with a noticeable modern touch. I'd recommend Swimming Hour as a starter album.

And since I'm already throwing out non-classical violinists, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Lisa Germano. She plays with pop/rock acts (Mellencamp, Smashing Pumpkins, Neil Finn) and has her own solo career. Some of her songs can be a bit depressing and angry, so approach with caution.

Brad

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The one title you should get is a set of the J.S. Bach unaccompanied sonatas and partitas for violin. Henryk Szeryng basically owns these works. His later version from 1968 is available on a budget DGG 2 disc set 437365-2. But the truly wonderful set from the early 1950's is available on an import Sony/Columbia Masterworks set MP2K 46721. Amaxon doesn't stock the latter but stocks the former. To get the Sony set order from www.arkivmusic.com . It's a French import.

[​IMG]

The early Szeryng recording of Bach is probably the greatest recording of anything in the history of recorded music.

Anne Sophie-Mutter is a great violinist - I have and enjoy her recording of the Brahms violin concerto. Try getting the Penderecki second violin concerto: it was written for and dedicated to her (DGG 289453507-2). This recording won the Grammy in 1999:
    [​IMG]

The Brahms concerto is probably the greatest in the repertoir and you should get at least one copy. The David Oistrakh version SethL noted is probably very good although my LP David Oistrakh copy was with another orchestra. The Szeryng version is going to be released on SACD as part of the the "Mercury Living Presence" series.

Another work not yet mentioned: the Lalo "Symphonie Espagnole". This is probably the greatest Spanish gypsy fiddle music ever written. I don't really have a recommendation at this time, as my old Szeryng/Fritz Reiner/Chicago LP is decades out of print. Probably the Perlman version if I had to guess, although Barenboim's conducting is pretty much hit-or-miss.

12. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

13. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

14. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

"The Red Violin" Soundtrack - Joshua Redman again.

Interesting and varied styles.

JKS

15. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Let me see if I can make myself a little clearer [​IMG] . If something good is available on a hi rez format and CD I'm going to get the hi rez version. If there is a piece of music on CD that is better than what is available on hi rez formats then by all means I will buy the CD. DVDA and SACD have opened me up to other forms of music besides blues and all the incarnations of rock that I currently listen to.

16. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Bobby,

I'm a firm believer that you buy first and foremost for interpretation and performance. Sound quality rarely detracts from the experience. For instance, take Rachmaninov's recordings of him playing and performing his own music dating from the 1920s-1940s. I could no doubt make a more opulent sounding recordings using my minidisc recorder and a P.O.S. microphone. However, these vintage Victor recordings, containing heavy tape-hiss, an extremely narrow and shallow sound stage, dry acoustics (no thanks to a poor recording venue) and the occasional audio distortion still manage to perfectly convey Rachmaninov's own thoughts on how his music should be performed, as well his style of playing the piano. Him playing the his piano concertos with the Philadelphia Orchestra from the made during the '20s-'40s are among the most exciting and best Rachmaninov recordings ever made.

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Mark O'Connor is accomplished in a variety of genres. On Heroes, he plays with a lot of his idols, from Charlie Daniels to Pinchas Zukerman. Appalachian Journey, with Yo-Yo Ma, is on SACD.

-p

18. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

It's not a crime then that I listen through Klipsch Reference speakers is it:p) ? Seriously, I am in the process of researching and auditioning for my next system and I will use this music as a determining factor for final choices when I have done more listening. Now I'm off to buy some new music.

19. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I have now discovered that Best Buy's classical music section is terrible. I found only 1 of the above mentioned artists. Hopefully I will have time to go to the last standing mom & pop store. Besides music direct, what are some good web sites to order from?

20. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter