Suggestions for turntables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yohan Pamudji, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I'm looking into getting a turntable for a friend who has quite a few records but has had to rely on other people's turntables to play them. I have absolutely no knowledge about turntables. Can anybody suggest some good models to look into or at least a good site to start my research? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, and I think the only real requirement is a continuously variable speed adjuster (using my own terminology here, don't know what to call it). An all-in-one, simple, decent-sounding turntable package is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

What price range is he looking in? My pick would be one of the top Technics DJ Tunrtables. They sell for around $500 You might want to check www.audioreview.com for owner's reports on turntables.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If he's not a DJ that $500 would be much better spent on a Rega Planar 2. It's a better Hi-Fi turntable. However, it doesn't have the pitch adjustment that you're looking for. I would recommend Technics' current entry level table. Look at J&R and elsewhere, it should be easy to find.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I agree look at the Technics line & consider if you really need that pitch control that's the only reason why I sugested the Technics DJ models.

5. Yohan Pamudji

Here's the kind of turntable I would consider, both in terms of price and features:
    RA-6 speed turntable
    This model has the 3 standard speeds plus a few others and variable pitch control. This is the kind of simplicity and functionality that I'm looking for. Any suggestions similar to this model?

6. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    J&R's website shows the Sony PS-LX250H for $99, though it might be lower than that. This looks similar to the one you pointed out. The next Sony model is the PS-LX350H which is $199 or less at J&R but listed as temporarily out of stock. The cheaper of the two is automatic, the other is manual.

7. Yohan Pamudji

Wow! That Sony player is really cheap and would make an excellent entry-level player, except that it doesn't have 78rpm. At $99 and no phono preamp needed, I might just pick up one of those for myself just for the heck of it.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That RA-6 looks nice!

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

you can buy a great used B & O for ~$150