What's new

Suggestions for surround on a budget... (1 Viewer)

Ben_Beckey

Auditioning
As much as I'd like to spend a ton of money on the high-end speakers I read about on here and in other places, I just can't justify the cost right now. When I move into a new house and have a dedicated HT room, I'll look into those. For now, though, I'm looking for suggestions for speakers on a budget.

I have a set of Logitech z-680s on my computer, and to be honest, as long as the speakers sounded at least a little better than those I'd be satisfied.

The one thing that is really important for me is that music sounds good through them. I want movies to sound good too, obviously, but this stuff will be in my living room and I probably will be listening to music just as much as I will be watching movies, if not more.

My living room is 20x13. The TV and couch are on opposite ends of the room, lengthwise, and they are both up against the wall. I can't really change this because of the furniture and other things I have in the room (rowing machine, coffee table, etc), so I'm also wondering what the best way to place everything is (most specifically, the rear speakers).

I know it's not ideal, but that's why I'm going the budget route - I know with the current room that my options are limited anyway, and that I'll probably be in a new home within a couple years, so I'll go all out at that point.

So now I'll shut up and see what you guys suggest. I'd like to keep it under $1000 for speakers and the reciever/amp.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Easy...
Fluance SX-HTB speaker system: $260
Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver: $299

Add a subwoofer when you'd like, but you won't be hurting for one in the meantime.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I agree with Johnny on the Fluance SX-HTB's I own them and they are incredible for the amount. All my friends were awestruck by the sound, look, and value.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Some options for SUPER budget speakers are the Fluance that have been mentioned, speakers from BIC America, Rocket Tykes (you can get the B-stock tykes for $249.99) or JBL Northridge E-series from a number of internet sources (don't do the Best Buy thing if you go that route, they're definitely NOT the "best buy"). I have the JBL E series and love them. I had originally planned on getting BIC speakers all around and did have their center channel before I got the JBL EC35. The BIC center sounded really great for the price. It sounded bigger than the JBL but the EC35 sounds more detailed and crisp.

brad cook

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Panny SA-XR50- $240 shipped
Dayton 10" sub-$125 and shipping
JBL E series, definately get the EC35 as the center. Can be had for $150 from places like Deal-Stop (lists for over $350) and aim for 4 surrounds such as the E30's. Again, these can be had for a discounted price on-line.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah...I have the Dayton sub too. That's a must for a budget sub if you buy a setup that doesn't come with a sub.

brad cook

Ben_Beckey

Auditioning
So what online stores do you recommend for purchasing these different brands? I see that Fluance sells direct, but what about the Panasonic reciever, JBLs, or Dayton sub?

The only things right now with the Fluance speakers is their finish... looks great, but wouldn't match the other stuff I have in the room. It doesn't look like they have any other finish options... maybe I could cover them with something?

Any other opinions on the JBLs vs. Fluance vs. Rocket tykes?

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Dayton sub can only be purchased directly from parts express.

Dayton Sub

Lately it's been really varying on who has the cheapest JBL. A couple of weeks ago it was www.bhphotovideo.com Last I heard though their prices went up. Try www.jr.com. BH and JR are both authorized dealers. You MIGHT find better prices from the unauthorized dealers but you risk JBL not honoring the warranty if you buy from unauthorized dealers. A couple of unauthorized dealers that appear to have good JBL prices right now (according to pricegrabber) are www.etronics.com and www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com I went with an unauthorized dealer for my EC35 center channel because it was way cheaper but I got the fronts and rears from bhphotovideo a couple of months back.

brad cook

Ben_Beckey

Auditioning
Thanks... while I'm looking into this stuff, anyone have any suggestions on speaker placement? Specifically, the rears... not sure where to put them and what angle the should be pointing...

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Oh, only $1000 on speakers. :D I would be thrilled to have that to spend. I have only heard good things about the northridge series. I only own the EC25 myself, but it is an excellent center channel and I am sure the 35 is even better. good luck.

Ben_Beckey

Auditioning
Well, only $1000 on the speakers and reciever... I know it's not a small ammount of money, but compared to what a lot of guys out there own, $1000 *might* buy you the amp. ;)

Ben_Beckey

Auditioning
Okay, dragging up an old thread, but... I'm thinking about asking for some of this equipment for Christmas from relatives/girlfriend/etc. The only places to really buy electronics and stuff around here are Best Buy, American, and Ultimate Electronics... none of them carry the Panasonic recieve, and only Best Buy has the JBLs - I'd rather avoid Best Buy.

The other places carry Denon and Klipsch stuff - are there comparable models the I should ask for in these brands, or should I just put a note to buy online from JR and BHPV on my Christmas list and stick with the JBLs and Panasonic?

Just curious - I'm pretty sure Denon and Klipsch are good brands (from what I hear), but if you end up paying more for the name brand and the recommended stuff in this thread is the way to go, well, then I'm obviously going to go for the above recommendations.

Thanks again, all.

Ben_Beckey

Auditioning
Also, still wondering about maybe using some contact paper or something like that to cover the Fluance speakers... I'd hate to waste such a nice finish, but I think they'd stand out too much otherwise.

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
Just FYI,

Last year I purchased the top of the line Klipsch synergy towers. They were not available at best buy but from a higher end shop. (dual 8" woofers!)I compared them to my Fluance SX-HTB towers. I feel the SX towers won. BTW. although I got the Klipsch at almost half off, they retailed for about $800.00 if I remember correctly? I'm not really interested in speakers a little better than the fluance line. When it's time to build the dedicated theater, I'm going with a full maggie setup!

Oh I concur with the others:

Fluance sx-htb
panny digital
dayton sub

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Im not an expert on vinal finishes, but I'd guess that you could peel off the stock vinal by heating it up with a shrink gun or a strong hair dryer, it may take quite some time, but if your intent on re-finishing the speakers, you could. or you could just by the components seperately, and not even get the SX-HTB's. for instance. get the AV-SC Center Channel the AV-F3 Fronts and the AV-BP2's for the rears. All together comes to a total of $329.97 (without shipping) Vs. the SX-HTB set which comes to $259.99 (without shipping). From what people say in other threads about Fluance on here, the AV-SC center channel is of better quality, but I wouldnt know, cause Ive never heard it, nor have I had any issues with my center from the SX-HTB set. But its an option if still within your price range.

AzeemE

Auditioning

Hi Ben,
This issue has been brought up by at least a handful of my customers, but the funny thing is that once they received their speakers, they actually really liked the finish and after the initial reaction to the finish color, it settled with them amicably. I can't say that you will experience the same feeling, but I enjoy hearing back from customers (especially those who I've maintained email contact with) and it's always been a pleasant surprise to have them tell me they actually like the finish after the initial hesitation.
You never know!

AzeemE

Auditioning

This has actually been a popular setup, though, not as popular as: SM938 Fronts, AV-SC center and AV-BP2 rears. Depending on where you order them from :wink: , you can piece together the package for as low as:
AV-F3 = $149.95US
AV-SC = $59.95US
AV-BP2 = $89.95US
TOTAL = $299.85US (+ shipping of course)

Definitely a great option as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks