Suggestions for speakers $500-600

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dwayne F, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Dwayne F

Dwayne F Auditioning

I am new to HT and would like suggestions for speakers. I was considering the Onkyo S760 but after listening to it I didn't really like the sound. I have found a couple speaker systems from Infinity and Polk for 500-600 but the store I was at didn't have them hooked up. What would be the cleanest sounding speakers you guys could recommend in the 500-600 range including sub.

Also I have been following a post about paradigm but I can't find any prices for them at all. I would imagine they are out of my range though.

Thanks for the help

2. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    If you need a sub they might be out of your range. If you don't you can definitely get some Paradigms. But certainly check out the Paradigm cinema series satellites for the $400 range or go with 4 Paradigm Atoms and the CC-170 for around 500 range. Neither include subwoofer though.

3. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

Look for some used speakers or get some cheapo's to go with a Hsu STF-1 or STF-2. Replace the speakers down the road, keep the sub.

4. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

www.accessories4less.com has the Atlantic Technologies T70 sub and satellite system on sale for 599 - retail is 1100. A4L prices can vary day to day. (down from 699)
    Per the reviews it sounds like it might be pretty decent and relatively inexpensive starting point for a HT.

5. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Our shop has the first generation Dahlquist QX series on clear out right now at half price to make room for the new series.
    You might consider two pairs of their QX5 bookshelf speakers with a QX40C centre channel and the QX100S subwoofer.
    They are very nice sounding speakers and good value at the regular prices. At the clearance prices, I think I'm fairly safe in saying you won't find anything better [​IMG]
    That combination is going at $900.00 Canadian dollars including shipping to the United States. That's roughly around $693.00USD.
    Please email me if you want more info.

6. Dwayne F

Dwayne F Auditioning

well I went and listened to the paradigm cinema series today. I really liked those and don't need anything any more powerful because this is a really small room. The system I was looking at is the Block Buster 90, which is the cinema 90's, cincema cc, cinema ADP dipoles, and PDR-10, which list for $906. What I thought about doing is getting everything seperate and finding a less expensive sub. I didn't check the individual prices for everything and don't know how much that would save.

Also the shop would not come down any off of the $906, do shops just not come off of the price any or do I just need to deal a little more/better.

Thanks

7. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

I'm on my 5th (?) generation HT and I have never paid list for anything! I think you can get 10% discount just as a courtesy. If not, I'd shop somewhere else...

8. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    I echo that... don't pay list price at all. I also recommend you save yourself a little money maybe and listen to the system with Cinema 90's all around. I'm not much for the dipole sound., but if you like them that's all that matters. You could do the Cinema 90's in the back as well, and not pay the extra for the dipoles.. Again of course it's your ear. Also.. if it's a small enough room, you might consider the smaller sub, or even check out some different offerings. I've been told that the Paradigm subs are good subs, but not great ones and are a little too pricey.

9. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

Don't skimp on the sub. For less than $400 you can get a Hsu that will work in your small space.

Sounds like the Dahlquist system described above is worth checking out. Have you checked out the internet manufacturer's outlets?

10. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I never pay retail on electronics either. Most if not all shop are willing to aleast throw in the tax with lower margin items. 7% in Canada anyways. One of my local dealers gives me a min 15% discount on new items or 20% on store demos. They're a small place and display stuff is practically brand new. A slighty bigger store advertises 20% off all speakers once in a while but said they would honour that year round if customers ask for it. Funny thing was, bose was not included. Highest mark-up speakers has the least amount of discount.

11. MichaelSLB

MichaelSLB Agent

Dwayne,

I'd take a serious look at the Dahlquists, especially at
    those blow-out prices! I own these speakers (after
    auditioning many, including the Paradigm Cinema series) and
    I must say, for the money these speakers are sensational.

Do a search on this forum for Dahlquist and you will find
    MANY rave reviews... and these are mostly from folks who
    paid full price and still think these speakers offer huge
    value! You'll also hear a lot of praise for Marc, and his
    ability/desire to help.

Oh, and here's a couple reviews for you to check out:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/dahlquist_qx6.htm

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...io_system4.htm

Hope that helps. Send Marc an email and he'll help you get
    into a great system at an amazing price. That system he's
    offering for $693 (shipped!) used to retail just a couple
    months ago for probably double that price or more.

Enjoy!

Michael

12. Dwayne F

Dwayne F Auditioning

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I was thinking of going with the cinema 90's, then called a shop about 150 miles away from my house and all they had were the 70's and the next step up ATOM's. I was gonna go with the Atom's, CC-170, ADP-70, and PDR-10 for 850 plus tax, which I thought was a good price.

2 questions, would the dalquist QX-5, QX40C and QX100 sub have as clean of sound as the paradigm system above?

Also the room is only like 15x12 or something (very small). The couch will have to be against the back wall, the same wall the rears will be mounted. Does that mean I need or should use dipoles?

Thanks everyone

13. MichaelSLB

MichaelSLB Agent

IMHO, the Dahlquists will sound *at least* as good, if not
    better than those Paradigms you mentioned. However, you may
    want to opt for the QX125S subwoofer from Dahlquist instead
    of that QX100S, which is a much better sub for the money
    (10" woofer instead of 8").

About the dipoles... you could easily get away with using
    direct firing speakers on stands (like the QX5's), aiming
    towards each other---on both sides of the couch.

Hope that helps!

Michael

14. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

JM Lab chorus series. Great for music require only midling electronics.