Suggestions for software for basic edits AND converting PAL to NTSC?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JasenP, Dec 15, 2003.

1. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I have a customer at work that is looking for an editing/conversion solution for home. Apparently, he has a German made and PAL version of the Sony TRV33 and wasn't happy with the streaking effect he got when using Adobe Premiere to convert from PAL to NTSC. He had several other trial version editing suites on his PC and I suspect a codec conflict is to blame.

Anyway, is there a conservatively priced software that will to basic edits and transitions AND convert from NTSC to PAL?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

For converting PAL to NTSC, I stumbled on DVFilm Atlantis. $145 doesn't seem outrageous. Never used it.

//Ken

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Check out the Pal to NTSC guides at DVDrHelp.com. There are a couple of guides using low cost/free software. If you only need 30 days, you can do it for free, otherwise TMPGenc will cost $50 for the full version.

-Dave

4. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Stunt Coordinator

Why not do it in hardware and just get rid of all the hassles?

I have the ADS USB InstantDVD 2.0 and I have to say it does an excellent job in making DVDs from any NTSC or PAL source. And it's got the same chip used in standalone DVD recorders, so the quality will be very good (you can also tweak it).

PS: the link is at Tigerdirect.com, but you'll find it much cheaper in other computer stores, online or B&M.