1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for simple Web password?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren H, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Calling all web gurus . . .
    I'm looking for a simple trick/script for protecting a single page on my company web site. This is hardly government secrets we're protecting here -- just minutes from meetings. I'm looking for something that will discourage casual browsers from digging around.
    Thanks

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If the page is on a IIS (Windows NT) box, you can set the permissions on the file so that the default Web user (usually IUSR_machinename) doesn't have access to the file. Then those who need to access the file will have to provide a valid NT user and password via their web browser (IE--don't know if it works in Netscape) to access the page.
    If it's a Netscape or Unix box, I would expect you could do something similar.
    KJP

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

If you're using an Apache webserver, look into setting up a .htaccess file. The apache website has the documentation, and even a walkthrough, if I rememeber correctly.