1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

suggestions for reducing echo in HT room

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JeffLab, May 12, 2006.

1. JeffLab

JeffLab Stunt Coordinator

I recently renovated my basement where my HT resides, repainted and removed my shabby old carpet and replaced it with laminate floating floors. I had expected some echo to come as a result, but its a bit more than I expected. I would like folks to tell me what are some good methods on reducing echo in their HT rooms. I am thinking an area rug would help, as well as curtains in the windows rather than vertical blinds. Any other tips or suggestions? I don't want to go so far as carpet the walls, and am ready to accept that echo is inevitable, but was hoping for a few pointers that could help some.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It’s amazing at how many people throw out carpet for hard floors in their home theaters, and live to regret it. [​IMG] Probably the worst moves one could make, acoustics-wise.

Yes, a rug will definitely help, as will heavy draperies (as opposed to light [read thin] curtains). Basically, anything soft anywhere will cut down on the echo.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JeffLab

JeffLab Stunt Coordinator

I was aware of the risks when we were changing the floor, but the room isn't a fully dedicated HT, nor was keeping the carpet an option. The basement was in desperate need of an overhaul, and I got an insane deal on the flooring through a friend in the business. That being said, I love the new look, but hate the acoustics. I'll definitely be bugging my wife to make some nice heavy drapes for the windows. Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions are still welcome.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hee hee – I’m one to talk actually. We have the same situation, a non-dedicated room (living room). The wife really wanted hardwood in our new place, and she got it. Can’t complain – she’s been a big supporter of the whole HT thing all these years... We got lucky – once the furniture was in place it’s not bad at all.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

Do you have any acoustic treatments in the room? I'd do that before carpeting the walls or something like that.