What's new

Suggestions for rears in a 6.1 system please (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Jergerian

Auditioning
Hello--

I am trying to finalize my decision on my rear 3 speakers. I have already purchased Infinity Interludes (IL40s & IL36c) for the front. I need three speakers across the back. The L&R will be mounted on the side walls, slightly above the listening position. The rear center will hang down from the ceiling right behind the seating area (the room is 35' deep, but I am only using the front 18' as the theater area, so the ceiling mount is necessary). I have considered the matching IL10's for the surrounds, but the room is kind of narrow (11.5'), and these speakers would protrude way too far into the room. I have been considering the B&W LM-1's for the rear surrounds, but as far as I can tell, my center rear would then be mounted upside down compared to the positioning of the L&R surrounds. Is there a problem doing this? I'd like any other insight or suggestions. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on the surrounds, but I'd like something decent. The other possibility would be the new Pinnacle Quantums (which are sold in a set of 3 for $899). This is more than I wanted to spend for rears, though. Does anyone have any sources for more reasonably priced Pinnacle speakers? My main considerations are matched sound (at least to each other, if not to the fronts), looks (I don't want to just hang three plain black boxes back there), and mounting ease (within reason).

I'd love any help at all.

Thanks,

jj

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I think you need to keep them timbre-matched. That is, the tweeters (and prefferably the midranges, too!) should be the same as the front speakers. This will give you a seamless effect as the sound is "steered" around the room.

I have heard systems with very high quality speakers that didn't match, and it left something to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks