Suggestions for perforated metal for audio cabinet

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ThomasKo, Jan 29, 2006.

1. ThomasKo

ThomasKo Auditioning

I am getting someone to build an audio cabinet for me. It is going to be about 40"x32"x22" (wxhxd). I don't want it to be open in the front but I do want air to circulate so that my equipment doesn't heat up. I was thinking of replacing the glass on the front doors of the cabinet with perforated aluminum sheets. Do you have any suggestions on where I could get some of this material and what material would be effective. I still want to be able to use my remotes. Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I live in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you want the remotes to work, glass is the only thing you can use. Any metal will block the beam, and you’ll have to go with a remote extender system.

If you’re worried about preventing heat build-up, you can always install an exhaust fan.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. ThomasKo

ThomasKo Auditioning

Thanks for your reply. The thing that worries me about glass is that I will have to put a backing on and that might build up the heat. Yes, a fan will probably help but I was trying to see if I could do something else. I thought the perforated aluminum would look nice.

4. David F

David F Auditioning

That's an interesting idea. Maybe you could use screendoor material. Should allow for plenty of airflow. I think your IR beams have a decent chance of penetrating it, too.