What's new

Suggestions for PC Gamepad (1 Viewer)

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I'm looking at buying a new PC gamepad and I'm wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions for ones with the features I'm looking for. I'll almost exclusively be using the gamepad to play console emulator games (NES mostly.) Here are some things that are a must for me:

Windows XP support
Stable software that allows keyboard button mapping
USB
High quality button and D-Pad construction

Right now the main ones I'm looking at are the Logitech Wingman Action Pad, Thrustmaster Firestorm Digital 2, and Gravis Gamepad Pro USB. I'm thinking of ruling out the Gravis though since the D-Pad seemed too loose and non-accurate, though that could have just been the floor model I played with. I've also taken a look at the Microsoft Sidewinder Plug & Play gamepad and Sidewinder Gamepad USB gamepads. I've heard though that the Sidewinder's don't have software that allows for keyboard button mapping. Anyone know if this is true (they were the most comfortable)? I appreciate any help.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
just go out and find a MS sidewinder pad, the original Sidewinder pad is absolutely the best PC pad ever made, its just not USB.
And about the Sidewinder's not having keymapping software, its not true...it just doesn't come in the box, you have to go to www.microsoft.com/sidewinder and then download it.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Yep, the Sidewinder is a pretty good pad. I have one myself. But the pads that get the most use from me are my N64 controllers connected to my PC using the Adaptoid USB connector. It doesn't come with any remapping software (at least mine didn't) but all the games I play allow you to remap the buttons anyway. Call me crazy, but I've always loved the N64 pads. :)

GaryAR

Agent
i have a thrustmaster wireless joystick, the one with an analog stick and a d-pad. it's pretty decent for what i use it for, and being wireless is an especially nice feature in the HTPC setting.

-gary

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I have the USB version of the original Sidewinder pad and I'm only lukewarm on it. The DPad is better than my old Gravis, but it still not great, and it doesn't seem to respond well to very rapid button mashing.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I really like my original sidewinder, but what I'd really like is an Xbox->PC adapter (similar to the adaptiod). Since the Xbox controllers use some form of USB, it shouldn't be all that hard, right?

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
ToddH,

You are crazy! I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they liked the N64 controller.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
:laugh: Why does everyone say that to me when I tell them I like the N64 controllers?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I've been very very happy with my Logitech Wingman Rumble Pad. Tons of options so that it can be used for flight sims, fighting games, or just plain old console action. It also has some pretty competent configuration software.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I loved the N64 controller - so much better than the Playstation one, and even that is a million miles away from the best PC pad. Of course, now the Gamecube pad is out all bets are off. :)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
GameCube pad = best joypad ever! If someone made a USB adapter for the GameCube pad, I'd be all over that thing!

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Why does everyone say that to me when I tell them I like the N64 controllers?
I don't understand it either. When the N64 was released, most everyone was singing the controlers praises. The D-Pad is a little weak (but damn near all of them are nowadays) and the C buttons where a little odd, but over all I think it was a very good controller.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I liked the N64 controller-let's face it, if it wasn't for them then we wouldn't have analogue controls on consoles. They really kind of missed out on the "multi purpose" aspect of it that they were touting though, since almost no games actually used the D-pad.

The new winner though has to be the Xbox controller. Sorry, but this one just fits my hands perfectly (hadn't realized how well until I pulled out a SNES controller again). Found the GC ones a little small, and some of the button placements are a bit of a waste. Nice triggers, but the Z button is a bit of an afterthought. The C stick is also a little cheap-why not just a second analogue stick like the first one?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Shane - I was trying that Logitech wireless at a friends house, and while playing Jedi Knight 2, there were many times that I noticed problems when using both analog sticks. Here's the situation: say you are running forward by pushing up on the left stick, then push on the right stick to look in a different direction. If I then tried to reverse or go sideways with the left stick, it wouldn't respond. I had to release both, then it would respond again. Is this typical of the Logitech wireless? Or was it just a weird fluke? Otherwise, I really like the feel of the controller, but that has made me wary of dropping $50.

Thanks,
Dave

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I liked the N64 controller-let's face it, if it wasn't for them then we wouldn't have analogue controls on consoles.
Of course we would have. Have people really forgotten the Saturn analogue pad that came out first?

Hell, even the Atari 2600 had analogue pads.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
OK BACK ON TOPIC:

I have a Gravis Gamepad Pro Eliminator, and it meets all of your qualifications. It was like $20 and it works stellar. The button layout is like a PS2's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks