1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for OTA DVR?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Alf S, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Yes, we took the plunge. Well, I should testing the waters for a few months. Read more here:
    https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4474459/

So does anyone else use an OTA DVR that doesn't charge monthly fees along the lines of say the Channel Master or Tablo?

I'm leaning toward the Tablo 4 tuner model but I see I do need to pay for a guide. Does anyone use a Tablo or Channel Master? If so, what are you thoughts? Worth it? Not worth it? Any major issues?

Tablo DVR: https://www.tablotv.com/

Channel Master: https://www.channelmaster.com/

If you had to chose, which one would you opt for any why?

Thanks for any input you have.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Personally, having not researched DVRs in four years, I'd do one of three things:
    * Buy a new TiVo Bolt 1TB with Lifetime plan (upfront cost, no monthly) and a DIY hard drive upgrade straight off
    * Buy a used TiVo Roamio with Lifetime plan
    * Build an HTPC DVR with Emby or Plex as the server.

I don't know anything about Tablo or Channelmaster, as I've not looked at OTA-only DVR options in at least four years.

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer

You weren't possibly using an old TIVO 2 or 3 by chance?

Tivo just sent out deal to get a Transfer of Lifetime plan from an old (still active) TIVO 2 or 3/HD for $99 on a new Bolt purchased from Tivo.com with a promo code. The Tivo 500 or 1Gb 4tuner has the ability to tune OTA.
    A $300 box with a LIFETIME plan with functionality of TIVO is a pretty good deal. The normal Lifetime with this unit with be a minimum of $500+cost of the Unit so $300 vs $650+. They tend to hold their value pretty well too, allows access to Hulu, Netflix through the box.

Easy enough to pop a new up to 3TB HD into the cheapest unit to increase recording.

4. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Forgot to follow up that we ended up getting the Roamio OTA and it's feeding a Mini Tivo. Works perfectly.

DaveF likes this.
  5. Steve_Smith

Steve_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Glad your setup is working perfectly, I was going to add that I looked into going a DVR for OTA and realized it all seemed to cost monthly fees so I ended up buying WinTV 8 for my computer and I've used it ever since for recordings, has full OTA schedules and timer for 2 different recordings at once.