Suggestions for new video card (Radeon)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Joe Szott, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

It's getting to be time to replace the old Radeon 7200 video card with a new version for Half Life 2 (and others.) Was wondering if anyone here can suggest a current Radeon that gives the most bang for the buck? Here's the criteria:

* Good Performance for new games like HL2 (so DX9 a requirement)
    * Price in the $100 - $250 range (probably $200 is best area)
    * Quiet fan or no fan (going into a SFF box that might become an HTPC in future)
    * Able to fit into a Shuttle SN45G box (not a huge fan/HS combo)

Anyone have suggestions?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I don't see what other suggestions are possible. If you want HL2 to run decent only a 9700 or 9800 Pro will do, not sure how they'll fit in a Shuttle, especially with a GPU heatpipe. Why not wait until it comes out next year?

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Scott,

Yeah, that was basically the plan. But I want to play other stuff before April, so need to look at what is out there now. The GPU heatpipe is behind the whole AGP slot setup, so it doesn't really interfere with it at all. The issue is more Shuttle put the AGP slot right next to the case edge, so the fan/HS headroom is a little limited.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

5. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

I have a 41G2 Shuttle at work and I have the ATI Fire GLZ1 in it, same size as the 9800 and there are no fit issues. Just more noise as it makes a lot of heat in there.

What speed processor and how much Ram do you have? To run the new games 2gHz and 512Ram are minimal requirements I feel.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

7. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

ATI just announced the 9800 and 9600 xt versions which are supposed to be the fastest versions of each respective card. Most of these also come with a coupon for a free version of half life 2. So you may want to wait a little bit until these hit in the next month.

8. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Chuck is Correct on the coupon for Half LIfe with the 9800/9600 XT. I considered the 9800 XT with that killler deal of $499 (hmm) but the initial reviews of the card seemed to only have a 10% increase in speed, so I passed. There may be other technology involved I am not aware of, but for my personal use, the 9800 Pro was a good balance of cost and performance.

The prices on these cards should drop if you can wait, but it seems you are ready to buy. I understand your mindset.

Also, if you can find a 9800 stock and flash the bios as long as the chips have Samsung chips, you can save $100 by doing the bios flash and upgrade it to the 9800 Pro.

Here are a few links, one courtesy of Chad and the other one I found.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...readid=3369581

http://www.short-media.com/forum/sh...=&threadid=3327

Much Luck,
    Charles

9. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

Reading reviews for the 9600xt seem to make me think that going for the 9700 pro is the best bet these days. I was seriously pondering getting a 9600 pro for a while when they announced the 9600xt a week or so ago. Prices are coming down to the point where they're only 40 dollars more than the 9600xt is going to list at. That may be your best bet Joe. You may not get a free copy of half life 2 but you'd have one hell of a video card. Just my .02 cents [​IMG]

10. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Joe,

FWIW, I have a 9700 Pro in a SN45G and it works fine. You might want to check out the forums over at SFF Tech for more info on the Shuttles.

-Keith

11. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Cool, great links and suggestions all. I might look at a 9700 pro. I would wait longer, but I've been waiting since I bought a 7200 Radeon ~4 years ago. I planned on upgrading this summer to play HL2, but if I wait for that game I may never get an upgrade. It's time to at least step into something that can run a game from the last year or so [​IMG]

I will check all that stuff out, thanks folks!