1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for my first sub, different than Ron-P's.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Weiss, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Lee Weiss

Lee Weiss Stunt Coordinator

I would love to build a Sonotube just because, but space is a big issue. I have satellites on the sides of my RPTV, a hallway on the left, the my current subwoofer on the right under the satellite, and a wall-mounted flexyrack for my components, and then a closet right next to the sub.

I am limited to a space of about 20"w x 15"h x 16" for a new sub. I cannot use downfiring because of the feet needed. It also has to be within 8" of a wall, so it cannot vent to the back.

I mainly want it for HT, and was considering a PE 10" Titanic MKII in a 1.9cu ft box, 2" vent at 5.4" long, off to one side. F3 to 27. (As told to me by a PE tech).

I was looking at the Shiva 12 and they have 54 liter sealed box plans and I could lay the box on its side and do a front firing setup, with a Q of .707. Pairing either up with one of the 250w plate amps.

My question is which is the wiser choice for a HT setup? I want the cleanest, tighest sound I can get. If it gets down in the low 20's I would be happy.

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Have you considered just buying a Rava from Adire? By the time you're done, you'll probably have spent most of what it would cost to just order one. The Rava uses the Shiva and plate amp. It's a 19" cube and goes for $399.

Pete

3. Lee Weiss

I'll check it out, but I need to use my power tools.

4. Lee Weiss

Size and cost are the biggest considerations. For the size I need, I would think the only way to go is sealed.

The Titanic 10" with a 2" port was suggested to me by a PE tech.

Building one is what I want to do. so a finished speaker is out of the running.

It is not easy when space is at a premium.

5. Lee Weiss

Jack,
    Very nice subwoofer, but again the cost is a concern. I could stay with the cheap PE sub I have, but my soon to be born third child would want me to build one. I made a jewelry box when my first daughter was born, so this one gets a subwoofer [​IMG]
    Considering I would like to spend no more than $250 in speaker parts and the space constraints I have (no more than 54L), what would you build for combination HT/music (mostly HT)?
    That would speed up the process greatly.

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

7. Lee Weiss

Although I don't know Jack, thanks. [​IMG]
    I think I like the price point of the DVC 12 since it would save me close to $40, and I would be looking at $250 in parts like I wanted.
    I had purchased a Klipsch KSW10 and was not really impressed at a price of $300. I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and learned I can get much more for my money if I build.
    I still know bearly anything about speakers, but enjoy it anyway.
    All this after just looking for subwoofer reviews...[​IMG]

8. Mark Krawiec

Mark Krawiec Agent

i also like jack's idea using the 12"dvc that you can run in sealed or ported mode. it gives you quite a bit of flexibility.
    don't worry, it will easily outpace the klipsch 10. i went from a klipsch to a sealed tempest and, well, there is no comparison. [​IMG]

9. Lee Weiss

Ordered my DVC 12" and 250w plate amp. Awaiting it anxiously.
    Thanks for the info.[​IMG]

10. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

man that is one sexy sub

11. Lee Weiss

Jack, I would gladly build a vented if it is within my 54L limit and you have the port dimensions.
    Here are the specs of my Polk RT25's for mains as my towers went downstairs because of space.
    Overall Frequency Response 50Hz - 26kHz
    Lower -3dB Limit 60Hz
    Upper -3dB Limit 25kHz
    Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
    Minimum Impedance 4 ohms
    Recommended Amplifier Power 20 -100 w/channel
    Efficiency 89 dB
    Crossover 3 kHz, second order with Mylar HF bypass cap
    These will suffice until I can build speakers this summer. Add to it my Yamaha RX-V530 receiver. In a 12' x 18' room with hallways and knee walls, so it is not a closed room; and the couch and TV across from each other on the short walls.
    Considering what I have, and what I want for HT, can you give me box and port sizes within my limits? I would say I could safely fit a 20" x 16" x 15" box.
    Here I was happy with what I had until I came here
    Hit me. I can take it.[​IMG]

12. Lee Weiss

Jack,

After looking at the link and some of the projects, I think I will go with a 1.2 cu ft sealed. It looks like about 1-1.5 lbs of stuffing and I should be happy.

Yours looks quite nice and small. Not as small a the Sunfire jr. I cannot figure out for the life of me how they do it, but I would build an IB before I spent $900 on that little sub.

Lastly, wiring it into 4ohm involves what?

Much appreciated. It is a full moon and my wife had two strong contractions. Fingers are crossed!

13. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Just to chime in late,

I built a similar sub to Jack's, just a bit bigger, and if John J. at Stryke still has some 15" Passive radiator b-stock around for $25 each, you can built a similar sub to Jack's for your budget. . .

Good luck,

Wes

14. Lee Weiss

Jack,
    I apologize for beating a dead horse, but I think if I am building this, I want it tuned as low as possible and I don't think I can get that out of a sealed box.
    If I were to do a vented 1.2 cu ft box, what would my vent dimensions be, and would that tune it lower? Or am I just a newbie who is thinking too much [​IMG]