What's new

Suggestions for movies about photography. (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
My girlfriend is a photography teacher at a middle school and is looking for a movie to show on her last day of class. The only photography movie I could think of is Pecker, and that's not really appropriate for kids of that age. Can anybody help me out with some ideas? Something informative, yet entertaining would be best. Thanks.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
There's a great documentary called "Visions of light" which is all about photography and lighting and such, exceptionally interesting, with a lot of great movie clips. I can't think of any film that would be better for a photography class.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Spider-Man has the main character as a photographer...

The kid in American Beauty liked to videotape things...

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
FairyTale: A True Story (1997) is appropriate for the age group and IMHO is far superior to Photographing Fairies. They're both dramatizations of the same historical event.
Fairytale's cast includes Peter O'Toole and Harvey Keitel.
Jim

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Photography, eh? He asked him knowingly! Nudge nudge, wink wink.
Hmmm. Photography....
The main character from the Angel series becomes a photographer. But since she's also a hooker, that may not be the right movie for kids...
Robert De Niro plays a meek police photographer in Mad Dog and Glory.
There's a rather amusing photography sequence in Bachelor Party...but, again, not really for kids.
Vicki Vale was a photographer! :laugh:
I think Alec Baldwin's character in The Edge was a photographer.
I guess my recommendation will have to be No Small Affair, an odd comedy from 1984 starring Jon Cryer and Demi Moore. Here's the IMDb plot synopsis:
Let us know what movie she decides on!

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Thank you all for the suggestions. She's probably going to show Fairytale: A True Story, cause it's rated PG.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Un Chien Andalou or Man With the Movie Camera would get my vote. Both focus on using photography as a means to convey a feeling. You might also suggest something really ground-breaking like Citizen Kane if only to show from scene-to-scene what the cinematography is trying to convey. Citizen Kane might be more appropriate for kids but the use of unusual shots to convey a message is extraordinary.
OTOH, the kids will love the eyeball :p)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can really only come up with one movie that is genuinely about a photographer. It was a TV movie starring Farrah Fawcett as Margaret Bourke-White, who was a farily fascinating individual, but I think it is a pretty poor movie. You still might look into it.

Too bad it is middle school kids, or The Eyes of Laura Mars might be fun.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Thank you all for the suggestions. She's probably going to show Fairytale: A True Story, cause it's rated PG.
This may be a downer, but in the interest of saving at least a few students from growing up ignorant, I hope your girlfriend takes the opportunity to let the children know that, no matter what the title says, this is NOT a "true story" and that the whole thing was a (quite brilliantly executed) hoax.
It's never too early to introduce human beings to James Randi! The younger, the better, AFAIC! :D
http://www.randi.org/library/cottingley/movie.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks