Suggestions for low-cost amp to drive single 20-39CS+

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom j r, Mar 1, 2002.

1. tom j r

tom j r Agent

I'm ready to get a 20-39PCi sub but really have my heart set on that big bad driver in the CS+ series and am trying to justify my expense.
    Is there an amp out there in the $200-250 max range that could do justice to the CS+?
    Help! I'm really clueless about what amps are available out there.
    Thanks.

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

3. tom j r

tom j r Agent

4. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I don't know if this is the one Tom is referring to but MCM has the 400 watt Fidek amp on sale for $199.00 with an online couon OC 24 you get an additional 10% off which brings it to $179.10. I bought one it is a two channel amp and rack mount not plate amp. The fan is noisy but you can make it practically inaudible by splicing a $1.20 zener diode inline on the positive fan lead. The MCM part # is 555-3670. I'm not knocking SVS in any way but they sold these same amps Fidek FPA-400 amps for $319.00 before switching to the Samsons. I popped the lid on the amp and it is considerably more robust than most plate amps , massive torroid transformer , large front to back heat sink and six 8500 microfarad filter capacitors. my only criticism would be the plastic gain controls have a very lightweight feel to them , but this is pretty minor gripe.

5. tom j r

tom j r Agent

Chris,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out online and the site indicates it is 100w X 2. It is bridgeable though. However, it doesn't indicate the ohms at the 100w power, whether it is 8, 6 or 4. Not very many specs available. I may have to call them. I'm thinking perhaps I may need more power for the CS+ driver. But maybe I could use the coupon code you indicated. Thanks!

6. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

Hello Tom,
    I'm just using an old integrated kenwood amp with the 20-39cs+ and it rocks. I wanted to get the best sub for the money and Tom V said the amp I had would have enough juice to run the sub. My suggustion is if you have an old integrated amp/stereo (that can drive 4 ohms) lying around use as your power source and get the + model. When you get some more cash go out and get a good two channel amp (you'll need the second channel so you can add your second sub). The sub is amazing, I am currently using some vandersteen 1b as the fronts and the + has no problems keeping up with any music. In the HT mode the sub move my entire room. On top of the quaility of the product SV has great service. Tom and Ron have been great to work with. They have set the bar very high, but still keep going higher and higher.
    Good Luck
    Jeff [​IMG]

7. tom j r

tom j r Agent

Thanks Jeff,
    Unfortunately, I got rid of my old receiver when I moved a couple years ago (the flip side of that is after moving I had room for and developed an interest in HT). [​IMG]
    The amp that TV suggested originally looks pretty good to me. It wouldn't be a problem for me to build a box for it.
    One question if I do go that way, with my setup I don't have any more room immediately adjacent to my receiver, etc. Would it be a problem to run a cable from the sub out on the receiver across the room to the sub amp (approx. 20 foot run), then a short run from the amp to the sub? I can't imagine it would make any difference. If it does, someone please let me know.

8. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

MCM site is pretty weak. The FPA-400 is 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms or 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

I believe SVS drivers are 4 ohm . It is bridgeable to 400 watts into an 8 0hm load. Do a search for it near the bottom of The SVS News section or read a review of it by Mike Knapp under the reviews section of the SVS web site. I am not affiliated in any way with MCM and in fact was about to by the QSC RMX 850 amp for $299 from parts express until I saw the sale price on the Fidek . Sturdy sucker weighs 30 lbs. I'm driving two 4 ohm sonosubs with the amp and it never even gets warm and that's after I installed the Zener which slows the fan probably by half.

9. tom j r

tom j r Agent

Thanks Chris.
    I'll check out the Fidek more closely over the weekend.

10. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

11. tom j r

tom j r Agent

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Comparing the 20-39CS+/375w to the 20-39PCi?

The CS+ would have an approx 4-5dB advantage in clean output