Suggestions for good shelving for holding DVDs.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Sep 14, 2004.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I had to take a a huge cabinet and an old shelf out of my bedroom because I'm rearranging it to make more room. Right now my DVDs are in boxes and in another cabinet. I'm just looking for some suggestions for some good shelving or whatever that can hold over 400 DVDs. I'm almost at 400 so I want to have at some room for some more for when I get any.

2. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

It depends on how much you want to spend. I happen to prefer racks with maple and/or silver finishes, which narrows my selections considerably. If you don't mind an industrial look, Boltz carries a number of CD/multimedia racks. One major drawback: they're expensive. The MM-252x2 can hold ~504 DVDs; cost is $388.00. They do run % off promotions occasionally, and shipping is included in all of their prices.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Right now I can't spend too much, probably around 100. The main thing is just to get something that's practical and looks ok. I'll look into those for a future investment though.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'm actually really happy with the bookcases I got from Ikea. I just grabbed one of the silver/gray Billy bookcases, which I've found holds about 300 DVDs with a couple extra shelves. I put a board behind each shelf of discs as a spacer so that the DVDs aren't way at the back of the shelf, and can then use the space behind there for extra cables etc. The bookcases were actually pretty cheap ($65 each).

As is typical with Ikea stuff though, there are some good deals, and some bad ones. The "DVD" shelves that they sell are much more expensive for storing the same number of discs.

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I went to home depot and purchased metal brackets and shelving. They're in the home organization isle, near all of the wire shelving. It looks okay, it's certainly nothing fancy, but mine is all inside a walk-in closet. Very practical, and I think I only spent about $80, and store over 500 dvds on my shelves.

Remember to fasten the brackets to studs. Because of the length of the shelves, I use three brackets per shelf.

6. Ken Chui

What about bookcases? Target's running a sale this week on 3-shelf (2 for $36) and 5-shelf (2 for $46) bookcases in cherry or maple finishes. They're 11 1/2" deep (don't remember the length), which would allow you to store 2 rows of DVDs per shelf. The 5-shelf unit is 6' high and a bit heavy, so you may need to call on a friend to help load it onto your car/truck/SUV.

7. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Ok, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll look into it all.

8. Ken Chui

I wish IKEA (or even IDOMO) would open a location in central Ohio. The closest one is one state over (in PA). [​IMG]

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I've always been worried about inexpensive bookcases sagging overtime. I've got a few cheap bookcases for my paperback books, and they're loaded to the gills and sagging. Just not enough support in the middle of the shelf, and cheap wood. My dvd shelves are holding up fine though, and they're also made out of laminated particle board.

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I just bought 2 more sets of shelves (the 960) from The Jungles

IIRC Ron first brought up one of their shelves and I ended up going there and buying their biggest one, the 1520.

The 960 holds 400 DVDs, the 1520 holds 700 DVDs. In both cases I put the adjustable shelves at different heights to accomodate other touches like LOTR statues or the Sideshow Holy Grail figures. I'll try and get a picture or two up.

In any case, they shipped in a very timely fashion, despite being heavy as hell, and are really great shelves. Certainly I've seen no sag in the 1520 after more than a year. Personally, if you can fit it in your space then that's the one I would recommend because it holds more AND because the uneven top gives it a more interesting look (less boxey).

I bought the black style in all cases.

11. CaseyL

CaseyL Supporting Actor

I got one of the Target bookshelves (5-shelf), some extra shelving from Ace Hardware, Painted everything black, and put the shelf together with DVD's in mind, not the way the instructions told me to. It works great, but It still only holds about half my DVD's (others are on another bookshelf that dosen't match). I would like to get another target shelf. First worked pretty good.

12. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I have two cases I bought from Suncoast. They were the most inexpensive for the capacity and have served me pretty well. However my second case is soon to be full and I'll have to either trim the fat or install ceiling to floor shelving.

The sagging issue has always bothered me about the pressboard stuff that is so common now. DVDs are relatively light compared to books so it's not so much an issue. Having black shelves and black back wall helps obscure any bowing too.

13. andrew markworthy

Don't know if you guys can get these at IKEA in the USA, but have a look at the Tondheim model as well. They're in pine and look nice and uncluttered. We have a broad one and a relatively narrow one together which holds our collection of circa 500 DVDs. We also have the same style of shelves in another room for our books.

14. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Thanks again for the ideas. I'm still looking into getting some more, but I found cheap one that holds a lot of my DVDs.