Suggestions for FP?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Flak, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Flak

Flak Extra

Well it seems both my girlfriend and I are in that small percentage of people that are affected by DLP. She can't see the rainbows but she says she gets light headed well watching tv/dvds on the projectors. I can see them sometimes and have eye strain almost the whole time while watching anything on them. It could just be how they were setup, but I've spent a cpl hours in three different "higher end" shops now and everytime the dlp projectors cause the same problems for both of us.

So in any case, any suggestions for an LCD that would work in a 25x18 light controlled room, that will be ceiling mounted at around 14ft from the screen and be able to project onto a 110-120in screen? Also cost is becoming more of a factor then I had previously hoped, so it's firm at 6k msrp or less.

Thanks again

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  3. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

What DLPs were you looking at? Many DLPs like the Infocus 7205, 5700, and 4805 are considered light cannons. Many people get headaches watching them due to the bright light output. In many of the cases I've seen neutral density filters applied, cutting the light output, and getting rid of the headaches. I use a ND2 filter with my 4805 at 92". My light output it cut in half. The filter also reduces screen door effect and rainbows, and also conforms to the movie theater standard lamp brightness of 12 footlamberts. The picture still looks great. Not a bad $30 fix. And after 2000 or so hours, I can take it off and it's like having a new bulb in. I believe some of the higher end projectors even come with these filters.

4. Flak

Flak Extra

None of the DLPs were from Infocus, at least not that I can recall. The brands that I do recall however are Sharp, Optoma, Benq and Sim2. I was considering the Panasonic for a long time, but everyone I've seen in the stores has had very noticeable VB that even the flicker tweak could not get read of. The Sanyo Z3 seems nice, haven't personally seen one in action yet, but the 3yr warranty and supposide ease of cleaning are pluses to me. I'm going to go tonight and hope that the place with the HS51 will actually have it hooked up to a video feed this time so I can check it out and play with it. How does the HS51 do with regulat tv through digital cable? The projectorcentral review didn't seem to like it for that. Just wondering if new units have fixed the problem that they saw.

Thanks

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Flak, Sound and Vision magazine just reviewed the Sony HS51, Pan. 700, Hitachi PJ-TX100. They picked the Sony first, then Hitachi, then Panasonic. If I had the money, I would get the Sony. Panasonic's warranty is only 1 year, that's ridiculous. Definitely check out that article, I read it at the library.