What's new

Suggestions for DVD Player < $300 (1 Viewer)

Mike RL

Auditioning
Please, I need advice on a dvd player. I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V receiver, 50" RCA Scenium TV with built in HD, and the Axiom Epic Grand Master speakers. Now I need a DVD player with progressive scan. I plan to use it to play DVD and CD and I want either DVD-A or SACD capability (not sure which is better). I would prefer to pay less than $300, but that is flexible if necessary. A multi-disk (300+) changer would be nice if they can be used easily, but if not, a 5 disk player does not do any more for me than a single disk player.

Should I stick with either RCA or Yamaha for compatibility (ease of use is a priority)?

I've seen the Sony 400 disck changer. Is it any good?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Muhammed

Agent
I wouldn't worry a whole lot with DVD-A or SACD at this point, I think they're both fun to play with, but it'll be a while before a clear winner emerges.

If picture quality is of paramount concern, then the Denon 1600 would be a good choice. It's a little over $300 (crutchfield has it) and according to many, is better than the models that replaced it. You may also want to read up about "Chroma Upsampling Error" (CUE), often referred to as the "Chroma Bug". The Denon does not have this problem due the Faroudja deinterlacing chipset that it uses. I'm not certain, but also *believe* it has Burr-Brown DACs, so CD quality should also be good if you're going to let the DVD player do the decoding (as opposed to letting your receiver do it). The Denon has DVD-A but not SACD, but you could always pick up another DVD or dedicated SACD player later.

I don't think compatibility with your existing equipment should be a concern, you probably have a programmable remote that came with the TV or the receiver. I've seen some of the lower-end Yamaha players and wasn't impressed, but their upper-range players are decent (the CX1 5-disc changer at around $500 is something you may want to look at). Overall, if you don't need the changer capability, I would think the Denon is a good choice.

Don Ike

Auditioning
I too am in the market, since our Onkyo (DV-C501) just bit the dust - only 2 years old, quite a disappointment.

I'm thinking a single disc player just for simplicity, but a multi-disc is not out of the question.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
there may never be a clear winner between sacd and dvd-audio, and for now it doesnt matter as there is very little in terms of media...

If you can forego sacd/dvd audio...i would recommened the onkyo 301 for $130

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks