Suggestions for dust removal from drivers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Quinton, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Bob Quinton

Bob Quinton Auditioning

Hello,
    This my first post here so please bear with me. I have a pair of ADS L810 speakers which I am still very happy owning.These speakers use a sticky coating on both the tweeter and midrange fabric domes. Unfortunately over a period of years this sticky coating has attracted a coating of dust which is very difficult to remove by camel hair brush. I am sure it is adding an unintended amount of damping to these speaker drivers. Can you suggest a SAFE way to remove it or is it even advisable? In addition, I hope this is the suitable forum to ask this question. Thanks very much.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Personally, I'd email the company to see what they suggest to remove the dust. I'd not want to suggest anything that might cause you to damage anything.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, i must admit the first thing i thought of was my lint brush. but...how durable is the material? i'm assuming a blast of compressed air will NOT do the trick?

how about (i think it's called) cheese cloth? i think that stuff is supposed to be just barely sticky - i think craftspeople use it to remove dust, etc.

why do those drivers have a sticky coating anyway?

4. Bob Quinton

Bob Quinton Auditioning

Thanks for the reply and very good idea.A "tack cloth" is what you are describing I believe. This just might work. The coating was alway there and might be part of the design.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ahh...correct. tack cloth is what i was thinking of. what the heck is cheese cloth anyway? [​IMG]
    good luck!

6. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Cheese cloth is a fabric that can be used as a filter. It's used to let the liquidy stuff drain through, leaving only the solid stuff, which is very useful when making cheese, hence the name. [​IMG] Cheese cloth was around long before metal strainers and whatnot. The effectiveness of cheese cloth can also be easily altered merely by adding or removing more layers, and the cloth itself comes in various densities.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay justin...that just made wayyy too much sense! [​IMG]

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I asked this exact question to Home Theater Direct (HTD) and they suggested using the "sticky" side of Post-it notes. Since the adhesive on the "sticky" side of Post-it notes was designed not to leave any residue, HTD suggested using it to pick up dust that way.

9. Bob Quinton

Bob Quinton Auditioning

Dear Dan, That is a great idea. Thanks very much.