Suggestions for comfortable/durable school backpack

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by NickSo, Sep 10, 2004.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    After 5 years of using the stylish over-the-shoulder bags, ive decided to go back to good old ugly elementary school backpacks, as my left shoulder can't take it anymore. Also the fact im commuting via public transit 2 hours each day i have classes (last year i lived on res).

So im lookin for a comfortable and durable pack... Lookin to spend under CAD$100.
    Ive heard good things from Jansport and Swiss Army.
    However, i went to ECO, they had some north face packs that felt quite good, they didnt have the fancy schmancy gel cushioning, but they were cheaper, looked decent, and felt quite nice. How are the durability on those compared to Jansport and Swiss Army?

Does jansporta nd Swiss Army's lifetime warranty cover wear and tear, say a seam starts ripping near the bottom, or my books have rubbed a hole into the nylon?

suggestions on what brand, and what stores have good deals?

Thanks

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Take a look at what Arc'teryx has to offer. Their from right where you live in Vancouver and have incredible quality. Two years ago I picked up the Bora 95 Expedition backpack of theirs and haven't been let down at all. Nothing has broke nor any seams have seperated. I have stuffed this thing with so much weight it really makes me wonder why I haven't had any problems with it, I sometimes think the thing is indestructable. I have also owned two fleece jackets of theirs, I have yet to see nicer or more durable fleeces from any company. Imagine a fleece that doesn't, even after some years, get them annoying little balls all over it!

http://www.arcteryx.com/

3. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

I really like Dakine backpacks. I have owned Jansport, Eastpak, and the like, but Dakine has ergonomic (?) style straps that feel really good. They also have an assortment of low-profile paks that still hold a lot yet don't stick out 3 feet from your back. Most importantly, they are very rugged, durable and look cool.

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Check out the Targus Matrix Backpack. It's made for lugging your laptop computer around, but if you don't have one it's still an excellent use. I have classes 5 days a week, and it's one of the most comfortable backpacks I've used. Very impressive quality as well.

5. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I've been buying my sons Jansport laptop backpacks for college. Price wise, $50-$60 will get you a decent functional pack and $100-$150 will get you function and comfort. I think my next bag will be a backpack too. I think I'm pulling my right arm out of its socket with the traditional laptop bag. By the time I stuff it with my laptop and assorted papers and stuff it weighs a ton and the bouncing on my shoulder is starting to take its toll.

Forgot, check out REI for a decent selection.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I bought a jansport when I was a freshmen and used it for 4 years with no problems lugging books and a laptop around, even on a motorcycle. Still have it somewhere...

7. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

One word....OAKLEY....[​IMG]

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My brother and I have had good luck with Eureka. We both have a Daily Grind model. I used mine through 6 years of University and it's still in almost new condition (and not because of the way I treated it).

My brother used his to haul 30-50lbs of art supplies to and from his art school for 3 years and his is still in as good as shape as mine.

9. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    LL Bean all the way man

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Jansports were bulletproof for me.

11. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i have had an eddie bauer for about 12 years now, and it has virtually bulletproof. the front pocket zipper is falling apart now, and that is after many years of abuse, i certainly did not baby the thing. i'm going to look at eddie bauer when i finally decide to retire this bag, they make a bag that you can carry a laptop in, for $49.50 usd.

CJ