What's new

Suggestions for cables that are not overly tight. (1 Viewer)

David Bane

Grip
I have some RCA Gold composite cables that connect too tightly for my tastes. I would like some suggestions for cables that are comparable to the RCA's (low costing but decent) that are not overly tight. Something that I can buy locally (not online).
Radio Shack's new Fusion cables look like they can slide in firmly yet easily.
Thanks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dave.

Two problems:

- The issue may be with your RCA connectors on your equipment rather than the cables. For this reason, nobody can tell you go go buy XXX cables.

- The electrical signals LIKE snug-fitting plugs. The more expensive Monster cables are famous for having the "Turbine grip of death" connectors.

If you really want to loosen the grip of your existing plugs, try this:

Go get a female-female barrel connector from Radio Shack. Mount it in a vice or grip-lock pliers. Connect your wires and carefully bend them at an angle to try and loosen their grip a bit. You may have to repeat this a few times as you want to be careful to 'loosen' the grip and not 'deform' the plug. You should try just connecting/disconnecting several times without any bending just to see if this alone will loosen things up.

If you find that you only have tightness issues at say the Receiver end and not the DVD/VCR/CATV end, only loosen one end of the cables, and mark these ends with some tape.

I understand wanting to protect your equipment from over-agressive plugs, but dont ruin the cables and your signals with too-loose plugs. Take your time.

David Bane

Grip
Thanks for the advice, Bob. While I'm too afraid to try the "bending" tip, I did disconnect and reconnect the offending cable a few times and now it seems to connect a bit more smoothly. :)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
The issue may be with your RCA connectors on your equipment rather than the cables. For this reason, nobody can tell you go go buy XXX cables.
I've got a few oddball sized RCA jacks on my Sony KV32HS20, tried different sets and that is what I came up with as the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks