Suggestions for building a subwoofer, Not for home use

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hine, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Hello all,
    I would like to build a few subwoofers. They would be used for pro audio applications. We currently use typical box (actually in our case, rectangular) cabinents by EAW and OAP. But often times having a cylindrical sub would be handy, to make it disappear into the room decor. So I thought about building some, and if we don't use them I still can at home. [​IMG]
    So what I'm looking for are suggestions on making a pair of subwoofers that would match or beat These EAW's for about $1500 total. Is that even possible?
    Recommendations on drivers and actual subdesign would be very welcome as would links to suggested reading that any of you may see necessary. I am new to this so if you need more information from me please ask.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan Hine

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

You can put pretty much any speaker in a ported tube enclosure. The problem for touring use is that the tube itself is fragile, and would quickly be dented if not smashed. If it's for a permanent install then the only real consideration is whether or not the driver chosen can be used in a downward firing position. If not the tube would need to lay on it's side

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Dan,

I did the same thing for corporate gigs. Here's what I pretty much found out:

1) This idea really doesn't work too well for concert applications. Tube based units are hard to move, and the sonotub isn't all that sturdy for constant road applications. Moreso, if you want to get big power out of them, you're looking at 15 or 18 inch drivers (probably JBL would be best)- and you're talking about a pretty hefty construction job!

2) If you deciode you just want a pair of tasteful cyl subs for corporate gigs for program music (this is how I use them, if you port beside the driver, you can use the top as a table and we have fake marble tops which we put plants on and it looks really smooth).

I had 2 built with 12s loaded, and had a case built for them with foam cutaways so they pack in a truck or tailer well. They sound good- and they're tuned pretty high, so they're not too big (I think the tuning point was up around 35 or so!)

I would say that if the corp application is what you're looking to do- you might actually find it's easier to order a pair of SVS. To be honest, if I had it to do over, I would have just ordered from Tom and Ron and built a case for them. Their subs look very smooth.

Again- for severe performance, to keep up with commercial enclosures- the tubes are gonna have to be seriously worked on. The tube will ahve to be heavier walled, the endcap constuction will probably need more than glue as the high performance 18 inch drivers weigh 3-4 times what the 12s people currently use do.

Again- I think for concert boxes, you're better off sticking with the tried and true designs (Braced rectangle boxes).

-vince

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Vince,

Yeah, I guess you're right. But I do still want to build my own. I think it would be fun. I know the Tempest and the Shiva have a good following here. Any other subs to consider?

Thanks,

Dan