Suggestions For Best Reciever for $1,000 or under

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MarshallSlate, Aug 18, 2003.

1. MarshallSlate

right now i have a Yamaha HTR-5650, but i got enough money to buy one that cost at most $1,000...might push for $1,200 and i was wondering what everybody thinks would be the best reciever to get for that price that handles 6.2 or more

2. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

Denon 1082 (same as the 3802) being closed out for around 6bills.

3. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

Denon 3803 for around $900 authorized.
    Pioneer Elite 45tx for less than $1k authorized

4. David WD

David WD Auditioning

go to one call for onkyo products, get the onkyo txsr800 for around $700 - including s&h - this receiver has 100 watts in 7 channels and will play thx - you will NOT be disappointed

5. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

NAD T762

6. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I'd take a good look at the HK AVR7200 at onecall.com

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

In that range I'd look into the buying a refurb'd HK AVR325 from onecall.com for $386. It has the same pre/pro section is the same as the 7200 minus HDCD decoding and analog bass management. Then add a lower priced 5 ch amp like the Parasound HCA-855a. This would definately result in better sound than a $1K receiver.

If the features the HK 325 is missing are important to you, then One Call has the 525 for $511.

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The new Yams are coming out next month with the 2400 around 1K retail with a couple of upgrades onboard. The 2300 is being closed out at 7-8 and still a worthy contended in its class. The RX-Z9 is gonna be a real monster.

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I'll second the Pioneer Elite 45tx...there are many happy Pioneer Elite owners around here and on avsforum...

That said, I'm going to audition the NAD receivers later this week...we'll see if they're all they're hyped up to be...

Regarding Athena speakers and Yamaha receivers...they are far too bright a combination...if you want good performance, you need something to tame the Athenas, not excite them even more.

I'm now in the same dilemma as you...I have to find something to replace this Yamaha receiver...nothing against them, they build good stuff...it just doesn't work with the Athenas very well.

10. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Marshall,
    I just noticed the same model Parasound I mentioned came up for sale in the hardware for sale/trade forum here.

11. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Frank Carter
    "In that range I'd look into the buying a refurb'd HK AVR325 from onecall.com for $386. It has the same pre/pro section is the same as the 7200 minus HDCD decoding and analog bass management."

Are you sure about that Frank? I 'm pretty sure that they have different DACs.

12. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I like my HK 225 and the HK325 is a 7.1 reciever with a multizone output as well. I would take a look at the HK lines, I really like mine.

13. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Whatever you get, I'd make sure it has preamp outputs which will let you add power down the line if you choose to change speakers.

The H/K AVR525 is a superb receiver, I've heard it powering the Athena speakers and it is a GREAT sound...oh and the fact that the remote buttons light up neon green is rather cool too...

Now if only they sold for less here in Canada...why are we getting gouged on this stuff?

14. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

Shouldn't this thread be elsewhere???