suggestions for best HT uni remote?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonKrol, Aug 31, 2001.

1. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

Hey all,
    Im wondering if anyone can suggest a good, inexpensive (less than 200) universal remote for the Home Theater. Ive seen a few here and there with lcd screens etc..(which I think is kool), but Im not sure which to get.
    My setup consists of the following:
    toshiba 50H81
    sony ht receiver,
    sont 5spk + sub package,
    panasonic dvd player,
    stereo vcr,
    motorolla (comcast) digital cable box
    any information greatly appreciated!!
    thanks!
    ------------------
    - Jason
    My DVD Collection

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

IMO the best touch screen out there is the Pronto TSU2000 or the new Pro one that is really cool but costs way too much. The best hard button remote out there is hands down the Home Theater Master MX500 (runs about $120-$140 USD). The best minimum cost remotes are the One For All Cinema 6/7 (URC 6800/7800) or their RatShack equivalent ($20-$40).
    Check out http://www.remotecentral.com for info and reviews on all of these remotes.

3. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I would agree with Dustin about the Pronto - it's a great remote! IMHO it's the most customizable (within financial reason) remote I've seen. If you think you would enjoy creating a custom interface that is truly unique to you, this is the remote for you (but you don't have to - lots of people have created interfaces you can use). The TSU2000 might be a little higher than $200 (got mine for a wedding gift from my HT-minded cousin - think the price was $299) but it has a lot to offer.
    I've heard good things about the Home Theater Master but haven't used it.
    ------------------
    Scott

4. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Try the Home Theater Master MX-500. It seems to be the hard button remote to beat. They have a website, but I haven't the URL.

5. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

If you think you'll like the touchscreen, go with the Pronto. I did then decided touch was not for me. The customizability (sp)is incredible.. For hard button go with either the MX500 or Marantz RC2000