Suggestions for amp/pre-amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MarkMac, Sep 1, 2003.

1. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I just recently sold our house, and as part of the deal, the buyers purchased my Reference 3 system, SVS sub, and Onkyo receiver. (I was sick for a week!) However, we will be putting a theater room in the basement of our new house that we are buiding, and this makes room for upgrades!

My plan for the new room is 7.1 made up of Klipsch Reference speakers. 2 RF-7s, an RC-7, a pair of RS-7s for the surrounds, and a pair of RB-35s for the rears. The RB-75s are tempting, but the price of this is already going to get a little out of control. I plan on a new SVS...probably the PB2+ or maybe the new PB2-ISD. The room will be 21x16 with 8 foot ceilings.

Where I'm having some difficulty is with power. I am taking a serious look at the Outlaw 950/7100 combo. The B-stocks are $1500. Given the efficiency of these speakers, I question whether I would need anymore than the 100 watts the 7100 has to offer. So, given that $1500 is my ceiling for amp and pre/pro, what would you recommend instead of this combo? I think I'm set on separates, but I want the best bang for my buck I can find that will be a great match for the big References.

2. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

For amps, I would suggest the Outlaw 7100, that should be enough for the Klipsch. However, for the pre-amp, I would suggest something else besides the 950. I would suggest the Yamaha RX-V 1400 or the 2400 which should be coming out within the next few weeks, the features that these receivers include are unbeatable for their price. I see the 950 as a bit outdated in terms of features. If you go with the Yamaha, you could also consider a five channel Rotel amp, such as the 1075 and let the Yamaha handle the surround back speakers.

-Vic

3. MarkMac

I'm going to give this a bump to see what others with Klipsch Reference experience think.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

The Outlaw gear has a reputation of being on the brighter side of the spectrum and might not be the best with the Klipsch. As I've never used Outlaw audio equipment, this is just what I've read. You might try posting over at Outlaws message boards to see what posters there say, but remember that biases do exist so take it with a grain of salt. That certainly seems to be quite a good price for a dedicated pre-pro plus amp.

I own some Klipsch reference speakers. I bought some new speakers for my main listening area. The Klipsch went out to another room for the kids to use. While I loved the sound of the Klipsch paired with the equipment in my room, they do sound pretty bad paired with the old Sony receiver in the other room. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Klipsch are pretty sensitive to what they're mated to. For your information, I use a Rotel 1066 pre-pro and Parasound 1205A amp in my room. Of course, the room the Klipsch are now in is brighter to begin with so that's a factor also.

As far as whether the Outlaw amp will have enough oomph for your Klipsch, remember that you can drive those things to reference levels with a few watts, so, in that regard, I wouldn't worry.

One last thing, I used to like my Klipsch speakers mated with an old Onkyo receiver, but didn't like the sound with my 696 of about a year ago. This is all my ears and tastes though.

5. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

Mark:

While $1500 is a challenge for a high quality multi-channel amp and a pre/pro, I believe you could get a used Rotel RMB-1075 and a used Rotel RSP-1066 for close to $1500.

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Mark's suggestion is sound. I believe the Klipsch would match up very nicely with the Rotel gear. Just remember, Rotel, like most manufacturers, has non-transferable warranties.

7. MarkMac

I'll have to take a look at the Rotel offerings. Question though...that RMB-1075 is a 5 channel amp, correct? If so, what would you recommend for powering the other 2 speakers? Monoblocks, stereo amp? Does Rotel make either of these that would match up well with the 1075 and the 1066 pre/pro?

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Yes, it is a five channel amp and yes Rotel does have two channel amps.

Sorry, if I'm rushed, but I'm a little late to work. I'd really suggest you post this question at Club Rotel as you'd get more responses.

Here's your link

Hope all goes well.

9. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

"I see the 950 as a bit outdated in terms of features"

Vic - Enlighten us please! Which "features" are lacking from the 950?

10. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I use a Denon 3803 and Parasound 1205a with rf7's,very satisfied.Many 1k avr's have lots of 4k big brother components in the pre/pro section.A good pre/pro with similar capability is gonna cost ya over 1k(more like 2k) new.You may have already considered this,if so please disregard.

11. David S

"A good pre/pro with similar capability is gonna cost ya over 1k(more like 2k) new"

Really? What does the 3803 have in Pre/pro capabilites that the Outlaw 950 ($799) and the Rotel 1066 (probably $1200 now) dont?

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Mark,

I have a 950/750 outlaw combo, it is very nice and sounds splendid. I don't know if it is separates or just the outlaw products, but it blows my HK receiver out of the water.

If $1500 is your top limit, I would suggest one of two routes. For separates, definitely the 7100/950 combo is max bang for buck. And you can audition it for 30 days and return it if you are unhappy no questions asked. So very little risk there. I would suggest getting some of the audio interconnects they sell too for $100 as they are worth it, but that does push it to $1600.

Or stick with a receiver and look in the $1500 range. There are several choices that will sound very, very good and have later updates than the 950. Like the Denon 3803 fits in this range. I can't compare it's sound to separates, I've never owned a Denon.

Outlaws aren't the second coming as some would say, but they are very nice and deliver an awesome sound for the price. I would go for a 30 day audition and decide yourself...

13. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

David S,

As I recommended the Yamaha rx-v1400, these are the features that the Outlaw doesn't have. Component upconversion, audio sync delay, thx processing, 3 zone output, etc. (check this link for more info. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/R...R/RX-V1400.htm The only thing the Outlaw has that the Yamaha does not is bass management for the 5.1 inputs.

-Vic

14. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

MarkMac, might I suggest Parasound Halo? It seems you are planning to get almost exactly what I have: 2 sets of RF-7's, RF-35's (though you're considering RB-35's), and the RC-7. I also own the SVS PB2+. I have them connected to the A51 and A21 power amps, processing done by the C2 controller. I know many Klipschers who have mated their Klipsch's to Parasound, and the result is quite exceptional. No exceptions. Oops, sorry, that's Rotel's motto. [​IMG]

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

16. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

NicholasL,

And what about people like me who ran Klipsch with a Rotel pre-pro and Parasound 1205A amp???
    [​IMG]

Actually, I would like to echo that Klpsch reference speakers do sound great when powered by Parasound...or Rotel for that matter...but the Parasound amps have the reputation of being a tad warmer which is ideal for Klipsch.

17. MarkMac

I hadn't considered Parasound. I'll have to take a look at those. Are they realistic for the ~$1500 budget I'm on for my pre/pro and amp?

18. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'm not sure what they're going for now, but, last time I looked, the Parasound 855A could be found for under $500, new. Not quite sure if it's still in their product line though. I did check ebay and there are a few Parasound amps up for bid there. If you go that route, please tread carefully.

19. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

The 85X5 Parasound HCA 855a amp is plenty of power for the Klipsch speakers. The Outlaw 950 is VERY detailed and neutral in sound. I own both and also own Klipsch and SVS. I am upgrading speakers to Axiom M80s, 150 center, and QS8s very shortly. My Klipschs, are the Quintets (wife wanted small speakers) so my Classics went away (sniff). Now I get my own room and the Axioms are going in! Buy the Outlaw and try it...you will like it. Many Klipsch owners have the 950...check the Outlaw site and ask some of them.

I paid less than $500 out the door from a dealer for the Parasound, and that is authorized with a 10 yr warranty. Find one used for $350 or so and get the 950. MUCH better than any $1300 receivers.

20. David S

Vic and Shane - agree, athough the upgrade port is NOT a big one IMHO as one, the Outlaws have proven to provide the few necessary fixes in a reasonable fasion, and two, at this price ($799) not having the upgrade port is not a huge downfall.

I cant disagree with vic - I even find myself wishing I had a 3rd zone in my 950!