Suggestions for a windowed HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Schnebelen, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Jeff Schnebelen

Jeff Schnebelen
    I bought a brand new house about 9 months ago. It already had a finished walkout basement. The basement measures 15'x17'. The problem is that the whole left side of the room is floor to ceiling windows with a door to the outside patio. Acoustically speaking, what should I do with that? Any suggestions would be most appreciated. JS

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Try building some acoustic room dividers ...frame some rigid insulation and attach 3 or 4 together using hinges (so they are free standing.Get some fabric to cover them (and the wife won't yell)
    You can easily move / adjust them and should help with light/glare.
    ------------------
    "My, my, so many guns much anthrax-esque white powder around town these days, and so few brains." Humphrey Bogart

3. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Accoustically, heavy draperies with blackout lining would work well. Costly, however.
    Another choice would be HunterDouglas blackout Duette blinds. Also costly, buy probably less than draperies. You would have to be sensitive to light leak around the edges.
    The third choice would be to use the blackout Duettes with side hanging panels of drapery material blocking the edges.
    You can do the Duettes in manual (strings), battery operated PowerRise Duettes(some size limitations), fully motorized EasyRise Duettes (ridiculously expensive).
    It is possible to make the room totally dark, even with sun hitting the outside windows.
    Front projection is significanly more sensitive to light leak than rear projection or direct view.
    If you are going to use the room soley for HT and don't need the windows to show, you could think in terms of some sort of soft, but ridged panels wrapped in cloth fastened in front of the windows.
    Deane

4. Jeff Schnebelen

Jeff Schnebelen
    Wow, Thanks for the responses folks. This was my first post and wow, that's all I can say. Glad to be a member here. As far as my question, it does not pertain to light at all. I have that covered. My HT will be a front projection using a sony CRT. My problem will be the sound. I think the curtains may be my answer. Thanks again for the posts and keep those suggestions coming. js :)
    [Edited last by Jeff Schnebelen on October 23, 2001 at 04:13 PM]

5. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Jeff:
    I'm curious about the light issue. How are you dealing with it, especially with front projection?
    Deane

6. Jeff Schnebelen

Jeff Schnebelen
    Deane,
    I got this idea from my work. In one of our training rooms, we have blackout roller shades. The neat thing about these particular ones, is they have a track about 2 inches wide all the way down both sides that covers the gap. The shade actually rides inside the track. The track is filled with some sort of furry stuff, like you might find on a storm window where the glass meets the metal. It totally blacks out the room. As far as my door, I will probably just replace it with a solid door. Thanks for all your information. js :)