Suggestions for a travel computer that doesn't weigh a ton

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Michael Reuben, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm just starting my search for a new notebook that will truly be easy to lug around airports. It's primary use will be web connections (wired and wireless); so I don't need a powerhouse. Just something with a reasonably readable screen, good battery life and, above all, lightweight.

I'm particularly interested in people's hands-on experience. What machines have you used that you liked (and why)? Which ones did you hate (and why)?

All input much appreciated.

M.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Through work I've been able to use a Toshiba TabletPC. I love the thing (wish I could afford one for myself). It's very light-weight and has good battery life. The tablet thing is really cool, but it may not be what you're looking for.

3. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Through work I've been using the IBM T40. Quite happy with it. Newest model I've seen is the T42.

Pretty lightweight for a solid machine.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Thanks for the responses so far!

Has anyone used the Sony Vaio 140 (or related models)? Someone I know swears by it, and I'm going to try to find a display model in a store this week, just to get a feel for the weight and the style of keyboard.

M.

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I haven't used one, but a friend of mine has one and likes it. I've seen her using it and the screen is incredible. It's probably one of the best displays I've ever seen on a laptop. I'm not sure which model number she has though.

When the Sony Vaio laptops first came out they really sucked, so I've always avoided them. I understand that they've gotten much better in recent years though.