Suggestions for a shelf that holds 1500 CD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jul 14, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

As my music collection has expanded significantly in recent months, I have come to need a larger shelf for storage of CDs, SACDs, etc. What I am looking for is a shelf that holds 1500 CDs. Thus far, I found a shelf at sears.com for $300. It looks quite nice, but Sears doesn't have it in the stores, and shipping on it is another $65. A small chain of record stores in New Jersey -- Compact Disc World, for those in the area -- has one for $220, but the display model looks and feels rather cheap. Does anyone have suggestions for other shelves in the same price range as the first two? Internet links would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I should mention that I am looking for an open wall unit. I don't want a cabinet or any other design with doors.

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    http://www.thejungles.com/index.html
    They have an extensive index of storage stuff. I'm sure some of it is the same as CD World's product - I visit CD World often - but they have a nice mix of other brands as well.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Peter, thanks a lot for providing the link. It was very helpful. I found the following wall unit that holds 1520 CDs:
    http://www.thejungles.com/mulwal15.html
    It looks exactly like the one I found on sears.com. However, thejungles.com is much cheaper. Sears sells it for $300 + $65 shipping, while thejungles.com sells it for $269 + $42 shipping. So, I'd save $54 through thejungles.com. My guess is that it is the same rack. It looks the same, plus 1520 is a somewhat unusual number. I will definitely consider thejungles.com. The only thing with them is that if I wanted to return it, I would pay return shipping. Still, it is very promising. Thanks again.

4. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

You can get a Boltz 2x600 rack for $428. More $ but you can keep expanding it. Actually for the last day of the sale today if you want the black finish , you can buy the overstock special 600 rack for $199 (must assemble ot vs fullprice is assembled) and add a 600 expansion unit for $159.
    http://www.boltz.com

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, thanks for the information. However, I have never liked the look of the Boltz racks. I prefer wood. Just a personal thing. Thanks anyway.

6. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

Ever consider building a media cabinet w/ drawers? It takes up the same area but takes up less wall space and yields about 3 times the storage capacity.... A cabinet keeps the sun/dust away from the media AND you can lock it against the prying eyes and sticky fingers of the household teenagers... [​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Clay, as I said in my original post, I don't want anything with doors, and drawers are out too. I have no prying eyes and hands here, so I don't want to hide my CDs away. Open shelves are convenient. I certainly don't want something that locks.

8. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

Sorry... I must have missed that part. :b

I would still recommend you go DIY though... You can build a much better (and custom dimensioned) shelf unit out of MDF with wood laminate and hardwood edging that will be nicer, stronger, and fit your application exactly...

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Clay, no problem. I understand your point about a diy project. If I were willing to invest the time, I might. However, it's not something I want to delve into right now. I'll probably buy the 1520-CD rack I have seen on the web, unless someone has an idea for something similar that is decidedly cheaper.

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Keith, if you have a 'Bed Bath and Beyond' store you may want to take a quick look. My friend has the same Salamader Synergy (www.salamanderdesigns.com) stuff I do in maple and I bought a couple of their very expensive media cabinets to hold about half of my DVDs (just for looks to match the other stuff more than for storage capacity) and was in his house and saw this maple rack that looked like real wood. It was not. It was a tower similar to the ones in your pictures that is not real wood but looks nice, very easy to put together and is $50 (I actually had a 20% off coupon as well so it was $40) and holds 600 CDs or 200 DVDs. It comes in maple or black finsh. Per the instructions it is made a co. named 'Doxey' with a customer service number of 1-800-849-5135. The store's website only has the smaller unit on it at: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=103088&RN=-99
    The bigger unit is 24 inches wide and 68 inches tall.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil A, thanks for all the good information. I have Bed, Bath & Beyond stores in my area, so I will check this out. That's an incredible price. My only concern is the quality. I love the price! I'll have to check it out this weekend. Thanks again.

12. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I would think having something cutom made to your specs might be the way to go. Design what you want, and then show it to a carpenter. It shouldn't be more than $300.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, I suppose that's another possibility. However, the shelf that thejungles.com has looks perfect and is readily available for around $300. I'd rather go with something commercially available. As I said to Phil A, I will also check out what Bed, Bath & Beyond has since their shelving is cheap.

I actually know someone who does excellent woodworking ("carpentry" doesn't do her work justice), but she lives about 80 miles from me, and getting the finished product to my house could be a pain. She is also married with two kids and a third coming in some several months, so she may not be available right now. I don't think she is doing much woodworking these days. I'll give it some thought, however, because she does excellent work.

14. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Keith, they are easy to put together and the quality is pretty good at the price point. With my 20% off coupon in the mail it was $40. Each of my Salamander Synergy media racks were $600 and another $120 for the door. They look great and match the audio/video furniture and I was very happy to get something that looks good in a maple finish to match them at such a price. My local store did not have any on display (not enough floor space) and only had a few boxes of the smaller unit sitting on the bottom shelf in the back of the area that you could hardly find (not enough floor space). Where my friend bought his they had them on display and I of course was able to see his before I bought mine. The best looking stuff of that type (wood finish) I have seen in person is: http://www.quadraspire.co.uk/. It is real wood though and something that will store the same amt. of CDs as the smaller $30 rack at Bed Bath & Beyond is about $375.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, thanks again. I hope to get to a Bed, Bath & Beyond this weekend. If I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

17. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    If you have an IKEA nearby, you might want to check them out. Their bookcases are very reasonable and they have inserts available just for CD's.
    www.ikea.com

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee,

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't really need anything high-end, however. I don't need to spend much on a CD rack. The $300 rack that thejungles.com has looks just fine. I have racks in that price range that look great and work well. All I need is something that looks good and will not fall apart. $300 will get me that.

Rich,

Thanks for the IKEA suggestion. I'll check it out.

19. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

That quadraspire is nice looking, but there are no prices listed. When I look at their site, I only see a bookcase and a revolving one. It comes about 12.8" wide which I see as about 30 cds per shelve and there are 9 shelves. So about 270 per case and I assume 540 for the revolving if 2 sided.

20. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Phil, as I noted above the small width bookcase is somewhere in the area of $375, I think it might be the QCD250 that I saw. I looked into the stuff briefly before I decided to get the Salamander Synergy stuff as the audio furniture worked better for my space and purpose and the media cabinets matched the audio furniture. For sheer storage capacity per space, I still like Can-Am stuff (www.can-am.ca) and will use the 2 3-drawer stacked units I have on a caddy with wheels in the unfinished part of the basement. I an an area 37.5 inches wide and 20 inches deep I can store about 700 DVDs or 1,600 CDs. It is not as warm looking as the wood and I still use one in my bedroom as well. It is not cheap either as any quality piece is. I am in process of finishing the basement and I do have some framing to recess some (metal) rack mount storage in the walls and I might do more as well, either those or with wood. I have not seen the revolver in person, but that also looked like a good solution to get a lot of media stored in a small area.