What's new

Suggestions for a remote? (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I don't think anyone mentioned the Sony RM-AV3000. Got it for $100 new, and it has worked on everything I had hoped it would (including my programmable indoor antenna). It has capacity for 18 macros, and both hard and soft keys. Only real drawback is how "wide" it is, but I have already adjusted to it. For its capability vs. price, I don't think it can be beat.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Didn't mention the Sony 3000 because many of us think the MX-500 does have it beaten ... About same price, much better form factor & key layout for one handed operation, many more hard buttons including menu, transport, & number keys, plus all LCD keys are user-picked labels rather than being limited to choice between preset labels on the bulk of them.

The Sony does handle more components (18 vs. 10), more macros (18 device macros vs. 10, 15 misc vs. 5) and has a clock/timer, but many of us don't have use for those advantages.

SeanA

Second Unit
The MX-500 does look nice. I did not consider it because of the comments that it is "all hard button", so I didn't think it would have programmable labels... but now I see that the small LCD screen creates labels for the hard buttons surrounding it. I do wish the Sony had a hard button number pad, but other than that it actually does have most of the same fixed hard buttons as the MX-500. It does indeed have a "menu" hard button for instance.

One question... is the MX-500 limited to 10 "labelable" hard buttons per device ???

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Doug have you considered the new Kameleon that comes out in June? Around $100.

Here's all the info with pic as posted in a thread at AVS

KAMELEON

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks