What's new

Suggestions for a pair of bookshelves.. running a 2.1 HT setup (1 Viewer)

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
Like the title says, I am currently looking for a 2.1 HT set-up. Can't use towers as we had a beautiful shelf that I am putting our plasma in that can handle a pretty large pair of bookshelves. Can some of you help me recommend a few? I am planning on trying out a few pairs before committing, but a starting point would be awesome, as I am starting completely blank.

No clue on what receiver I will use (I will post this in the receiver section as well). But I am hoping to get one that does the "phantom" feature well (if there is a such thing). My budget for speakers, sub, and receiver will be less than $750.

Thanks in advanced!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
There are many excellent brands out there, I'd go auditioning. My standard reccommendation for entry-level speakers is Paradigm. They are not in chain stores and generally have good dealers, and they are excellent performance and value. They also make for easier auditioning, as many speakers which have comparable value/performance (IMO) are online-only. Paradigm titans are perennial classics for entry bookshelves.

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the suggestion! that is now on my list with SVS and the AV123 X-series bookshelves.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I am not familiar with SVS's speakers, and I'm not familiar with the X-series, but I am familiar with av123's reference line and they are absolutely incredible. I would expect great things from the x-series.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
The X series is very good. I have reviewed the x-ls , x-cs and the soon to be x-sls (tower version of the x-ls). I would go with 2 X-CS and a nice sub.

Another option could be the HTD Level 3 bookshelves and then add a BIC H100 subwoofer if its for HT use. Try getting a Panasonic xr55 or so as receiver and it should be close to your budget.
I dont own the HTD bookshelves but there is a avsforum member called jacbri who does.

Regards

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
luis, do you mean run 2 of the X-series center channel speakers? im 99% set on getting the panny xr57 (hdmi in case i upgrade one day).

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Yes, the x-cs offers better imaging due probably to its MTM design and while the bass is less than the x-ls, you will be getting a sub anyway so no big deal.
Try not to over spend in the receiver and short change the speakers. The speakers will make a MUCH bigger difference than the receiver. Normally spending 3 times more on speakers than on the receiver is a good guide line.
Regards

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
great, thanks a lot! im guessing the x-series sub will pair well with these in a mid-sized room

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks