What's new

suggestions for a good powered rear surround? (1 Viewer)

drexel

Agent
I have the Kenwood Vr-6050 with the pre-amp 6th channel for the single rear surround speaker. What should I get for my powered rear surround? It seems like there is little market for a cheap rear surround. I don't want to spend too much... I want to keep it under $130, so what are my options?

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Ummm What? For future threads it might help to be more precise. Why does your rear surround have to be powered? Doesn't the Kenwood have 6 amps. What speakers are you running now? Sorry if this does not help. If you answer the questions someone might be able to tell you. Another think if it is a pre-out usually means you need to buy a Mono block to power the 6th speaker...or a two channel if you want upgradeability. Hope this helps, Mike

drexel

Agent
Well, the amp (vr-6050) has 6.1 capabilities, but the 6th channel for the single rear surround speaker [in addition to the subwoofer channel] is not powered. I already have 2 floors and a sub, but I intend to expand my system to include the center channel and three surrounds in the future.

I was just wondering if speakers were sold off the shelf that were powered and able to be used for my pre-amp rear surround channel. Do they sell such products or do I need to buy an amplifier along with a speaker?

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Drexel,

Powered speakers are somewhat rare. Powered Surround Speakers are all but nonexistent. Paradigm used to offer some powered speakers in their Reference line(Active 40's) which were supposed to be fantastic but they are now discontinued.

I don't think there are any real inexpensive ways for you to add that 6th channel. At the minimum you will need a Monoblock amp (Marantz perhaps?) to power your 6th channel and then you will need a regular speaker. Don't know of any solutions within your budget. Sorry I couldn'y be of more help.

-John

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Oh I see now. If I were you I would save up some cash and finish your 5.1 first. I've listened to 6.1 systems and 5.1 systems. The 6.1 sounded pretty good....but if you look at how many 6.1 DVD there are out there, to me it's just not worth the money right now. But if you absolutly have to have 6.1 save up. Buy a Mono block and your center channel and three surrounds to match your two fronts. Mike D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks