Suggestions for a dirt-cheap DVD player for a 20"-27" TV? (progressive not important

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by soop.spoon, Dec 3, 2003.

1. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

I'm looking for a dirt-cheap backup DVD player to be used on a SONY 20" flat screen and a SONY 27" Trinitron. Progressive output isn't important to me as the displays obviously cannot support that functionality.

Will a $79 Toshiba/Sony/Panasonic player from BestBuy do the trick? Is there anything I should look out for? Do any of the low-end models have a good/bad reputation?

SONY DVP-NS425P
    PANASONIC DVD-S25S
    TOSHIBA SD-3950

Thanks for any help.

2. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Check out the JVC XV-N40BK. This player can handle all the formats; DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD, JPEG, MP3, and it loads them very fast. BTW, it also offers progressive scan even though you don't intend to use it right now. The other positive about this player is that, unlike the models you mention above, it doesn't have the chroma bug. There is also a $20 rebate right now. abtelectronics.com has this player right now for $84 before the $20 rebate, with free ground shipping, and no tax. They are also offering an additional 5% off if you use discount code DISCOUNT5 while checking out(offer ends today). I recently purchased this same player from them for a Christmas gift and had absolutely no problems. Ordered on a Monday and received it on Thursday.

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yes go for a JVC its the best of the bargain players out there now. Best Buy carries the XV-N50BK which is $20 more than the N40BK model, they are very similar.

4. John Di Lauro

John Di Lauro Stunt Coordinator

I seem to remember reading some threads here that the newer P.S. JVCs have some picture issues when operated in interlaced mode. Can anyone confirm or did I imagine this?