suggestions for a $300 receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by david*mt, Aug 18, 2003.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

I need something with DTS-ES discrete and DD EX, so 6.1 is a must. I would like something that is warm or neutral sounding. Here are a few that I am looking at which can be found for under $300:

Pioneer VSX-D912K
    Pioneer VSX-D811SS
    Pioneer VSX-D812K
    Kenwood VR-7060
    Panasonic SA-HE200K
    Sony STR-DE895
    Kenwood VR-7070 (would cost a little over $300)
    Onkyo TX-SR600

I'm kind of leaning towards the VSX-D912K. Cnet gave it a great review and it looks nice. What does everyone think? The VSX-D811SS would be the cheapest by far, about $230 online. I haven't heard much about the Panasonic or Kenwoods though. If someone has any other recommendations I would appreciate it. Thanks

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well you have to remember that if you purchase a cheaper reciever you won't get as good of quality. Unfortunatly the HK's look out of your price range although if you don't mind a refurbished one, Harman/Kardon has a refurbished section on Ebay where you could probably find a HK AVR-125 for about $250 or so.

If you want to go brand new I would definantly have to recommend the Yamaha XV-R440, it offers the best performance in that price range but lacks only offers 1 coax digital in and 1 optical in. Video inputs also lack, but the sound quality is pretty good.

Next choice would have to be an Onkyo but I don't have too much experience with them.

The Harmans are very neutral sounding and provide the best sound IMO, while the Yamaha's are a little bright. I have heard this is due to the amplifier in the HK being a little bit better but I am not sure, I know HK uses High Current Amp's, I don't think Yamaha does.

3. NicholasTS

NicholasTS Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha HTR-5640 is the same thing as the XV-R440 just so you know. For $299 the 5640 is the best IMO.

4. ChrisLazarko

I'm not fond of the way Yamaha's sound. They are very bright especially with Klipsch speakers they become even more bright. One reason I think people at Bestbuy turn away from Klipsch, bright speaker with a bright reciever.

5. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

get a Harman Kardon 225 for $299 from outpost.com

6. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

7. ChrisLazarko

I turned away from buying a Yamaha because it was so bright with the Klipsch it didn't make them sound good, definantly too bright. enough to want to strangle you.