suggestions for a 3-channel amp...???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    So far about the only thing I've run accross is the B & K 3 x 140. Where did all the 3X's go? The amp would be used with a Marantz AV9000 pre and Atlantic Technology 250 series speakers. 100 to 150 watts per would seem sufficent. Thanks for any tips!

2. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

A few months ago, I was in the market for 3 channels amps as well. All I could find NEW were 6 channel amps with internal bridges to 3 channels. These were my final candidates:

Adcom GFA-5006 (Internally bridged to 175watts X 3)

Rotel RMB 1066 (Internally bridged to 150watts X 3).

I ended up with the Adcom because I could not find the Rotel at anything less than list price.

3. PaulXH

PaulXH Stunt Coordinator

Widescreen Review just did a review of the Bryston 6B SST 3channel amp. I have heard it was great. I am looking to buy the 9b SST amp. Good Luck.

Paul

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Don't forget Acurus, I know they make a 3x200 and I think a 3x 150. I thought Anthem did as well. I will not buy any thing other than 2 channel in the future, 2 stereo amps, only use 3 channels can be had for less.
    I currently use Rotels 5 channel and ASAP I am going to replace it with 3 stereo amps (ie; Rotel 981s)
    BTW I also use the AV9000 with Rotels 985THX mk2 110x5 with NHT super ones, never run out of gas. I dont mind paying retail for Rotel I just make sure I buy another something that the dealer can reduce along with it.

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Rachael,
    B&K has some new amplifiers. One of them is the Reference 200.3 three channel amp. Then there's the ST 125.3 three channel amp. Personally, i just bought a Reference 200.5 five channel amp to go with my new Ref50 pre pro. [​IMG]
    Check them out.. They start half way down the page. These amps are sweet. I'm very happy with mine.
    http://www.bkcomp.com/ProductsMainFr.html

6. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

The Cinenova Grande 3x300 was selling new for $1100.00 a few weeks ago on Ebay. It weighs in at 125 lbs.

7. TerryHenson

TerryHenson Agent

Other than those already mentioned, don't overlook other possibilities. For instance, I use a 4 channel amp (ATI-1504) and bridge the center channel in essence making it 3 channel. You could buy the ATI-1506 and bridge all 3 front channels. The Citation 7.1 is 4 channel. The Aragon 8008x3 is a very nice amp. Check out www.audiogon.com for used bargains.
    Terry

8. johnbr

johnbr Stunt Coordinator

9. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I am extremely happy with my AMC 150W X 3 amps and you can get a great deal on those.

10. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

I'm thinking about the cinemanova grande...i've heard it and it blows away anything in it's price range...
    If you want a REALLY good amp, one of the best i've ever heard was this one http://www.passlabs.com/prodlit/xa200lit.htm
    go into products and you'll find a while line, that first big one is 9000 retail.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have had 2 Acurus 3 channel amps for maybe 4 years now. First 200x3's, and then A200x3's, for a 6.1 system.
    Liked 'em so much, I just got an A200x5 plus an A200 for 2 + 5 = 7.1.
    I looked at Rotel, B&K, and Outlaw, but I really have had no complaints with Acurus, so I stayed with what I knew. You can generally find them at pretty good prices on the used market.
    An Audio magazine review a few years ago tested the original version, the 200x3 at 350W into 8 ohms and 550 W into 4 ohms. "200" x 3 indeed! [​IMG] And the later A200x3 had even more power into reduced impedance loads...

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Well, There are some suggestions that had not occured to me. Is Acurus stille in business? BTW, the local B & K dealer is entirely out of product, nada, zilch and says B & K is stille not shipping the new stuff. I'm actually replacing a Rote 956 so I can use it for another application. Thanks for the numerous suggestions![​IMG]

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Rachael,

B&K is a little backordered right now. I've had mine for almost three weeks. So, shipments have made it to stores. I bought mine at Tweeter. I believe the reason for the backorders is due to rolling out so many new products across the board..

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Oops, double post...

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Acurus isn't out of business. [​IMG]
    Acurus was made by Mondial Designs, the same company that makes Aragon. Mondial Designs was bought by Klipsch. For the moment, Klipsch has decided to market the Aragon name, and put "Acurus" on the backburner. The product support is still there. But if you want an Acurus product, for now, you have to look for a dealer with one in the back storeroom that was never sold new, or a used one.
    I heard that the way that B&K manufactures products is the following. They have 1 manufacturing line. And what they do, is to make one product at a time (in very large bunches), then they retool, and make another product. Explains why there are waits sometimes.