Suggestions for a 150w-200w Integrated Amp for Music

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert Tonkin, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Robert Tonkin

Aug 16, 2002
    I am in the process of reviewing 150-200 watt integrated amps for a system that is to be used mostly for classical music, but will also drive my mains, two VA Mozart's rated at 200w in a HT. I would then buy an AV receiver to do HT processing and drive the surrounds and center.

Two contenders that have been brought to my attention (thank you Alex F.!) are:

Classe CAP-151; rated at 150w into 8 ohms (the VA's are 6 ohm loudspeakers with a 90db sensitivity).

Perreaux 200i at 200w into 8 ohms. I'm totally unfamiliar with this company from New Zealand.

Would anyone have others they could recommend, or experiencing with either of these?

I looked at the BAT VK300X, but at $3600 it may be more than I want to spend. That could change, but right now it seems excessive for my needs. I don't know if my "mature ears" are going to be able to hear the premium. I may yet just break down and buy a Rotel RSP1066 and a RMB1095 and be done with it. However, I wish to at least compare the two alternatives. The Rotel combo is $3500. The Classe is about $2100; mated with a $1000 Denon 3803 or a similar Pioneer Elite, saves $400 to put toward a top shelf CD player.

Thank you to Bill Blank, Alex F., and others who have kindly shared their experiences driving their VA's for music. Their feedback has been greatly appreciated, and I hope they continue to add to the discussion.

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Apr 8, 2002
    Since the VA's are 6 ohm, then the max amp power should go up around 33% (if my math is right, which it probably isn't). Anyway, 200w into a 90dB speaker, you are looking at sound levels of 120dB coming from each speaker. Wow, that's loud.
    Anywho, some good integrated amps at your price point (~2000) are made by Krell, Musical Fidelity, Magnum Dynalab, Plinius and Arcam. All make very, very good integrated amps.
    As for the idea of buying a RSP1066 and 1095, if you take this route you should consider also purchasing a dedicated 2 channel preamp with HT pass through, aka SSP. Any good integrated amp or dedicated 2 channel pre will trounce a HT pre/pro or receiver costing twice as much in terms of 2 channel reproduction. But if you do go with the Classe, then it would be a wise choice, as Classe makes really nice gear. As always, audition if you can. Good luck